Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next gen hover bike

Hello everyone.
Pretty new here but I decided to upload my current project here.

It's a hover bike that's been used for a while in the desert.
I'm pretty much done but I feel there's something missing in my textures.
All feedback is welcome.

ylfwZ.jpg
Njl45.jpg
yHHy8.jpg
wEXrY.jpg
N426k.jpg

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice model! J&D is one of my favourite game on PS2!
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great model and cool texture work..my only crit would be adding some colors to spec map...may be some blue tone..that adds really good feel to metal surface..just i felt so...once again a very good work...
  • Vanatis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the good comments. I'm going to rework the texture a little bit right now to make the dirt more realistic (more at the bottom, scratches following the flow,...). I'm definately going to try out the blue in the spec map.

I'll keep it updated ^^
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Nice design :).

Regarding the textures,you could try and define the wear, try tell what this bike has been through more than just standing still in a sandy place. :).

Since it looks like a fast moving vehicle, I would advice to add some directional wear,something that occurs when you drive around in a very abrasive environment. This should happen basically on every edge and surface that is exposed to the directional air flow (not just at the bottom surface). You should add this wear both in your diffuse and your normal map. Meaning, in the normal you should give your wear some edges, since this is hard surface /metallic the wear will create dents, larger "over-time" scratches and chipped paint.

I would also advice you to try and take your time with your specular map, as of now it looks like you've mostly done a simple desaturation from your diffuse and did some minor painting on it, it doesn't come out consistent though, since you increased specular on some parts of the dirt/wear, while leaving out others.

You should do additional work on your specular to help the eye tell difference between for instance what is dirt and what is wear. As in dirt would give little reflection, whilst wear on paint could give higher reflections due the metal underneath it.
  • kraphik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like the texture. reminds a lot of old star wars sandspeeder.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    your texture looks too dark. Looking at your texture sheet, it looks like it is at night. I would crank up a bit with "curves" - i see you got really bright specular, but still

Also theres not much contrast on the model, it all looks very uniform, try getting some details to pop more (or change colours so the red is more catchy, and make the bottom mid parts black or something)
    And some more harsh scratches / wear sighs at special spots could really bring drastic improvement