Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Help/Feedback: Air Throne/ Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
Hello world I am pretty new to Polycount. I am currently a senior in art school about to graduate in a couple of months. I was recommended to polycount by a couple of people that I know. I would like to post some work for constructive feedback and critique. The problem is that I am about to graduate and just from what I see online my portfolio is extremely weak. I have a foundation but am just starting to get a workflow going as well as high poly modeling and baking ( I am still weak in Zbrush.) My main modeling program is Maya. ( I also know Max) I am proficent in photoshop, Zbrush, and UDK. I am about to graduate with a degree in Video Game Art and Design and I have some industry experience interning and work at game companies. I am also pretty computer savvy. I need help as I am not getting what I need from just school. I only have a couple of months to get a decent portfolio in order to get me a job. Because of my hectic work schedule with school I had lost alot of motivation for my passion which is to be in the video game industry. I am slowly trying to turn that around and hone my craft. I am pretty frustrated the way things have been going to me and I would really like to have some good stuff to show in my portfolio.Please if people could just review my work and give me tips or feedback in order get things presentable, I would be extremely grateful! PAINTOVERS ARE WELCOME!
344s4e0.jpg
29zwhl1.jpg
2jdklec.jpg
1zwkfv5.jpg

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    1. The subject matter is confusing and weird. Find a badass concept from someone else and try to make that. Creating a cool jet chair thing requires a lot shape exploration and conceptual skill, which you probably don't have yet. Focusing on someone else concept will let you see where your skills really need improvement and will make for a stronger final piece.

2. Your uv mapping is bad. Mirror parts and always think about "how will this be easiest to texture when i'm done". Making sure everypiece has its perfectly unfolded little section is less important than something easy to understand and work with.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the quick feedback. I am going to try to do make the enviornment similar to what I have in the environment concept for that Avatar piece. You have a point about trying to mimic someone else's piece so I don't have to come up with so much on my own. Do you have any suggestions on how I could make the main prop (the airthrone) stronger itself other than the uv's need work?