Home Unreal Engine

Scripting vehicle ui/controls in UDK

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
hi all,

I am working on a project for my studies at the moment, where I have to design and make an aircraft (futuristic jet) in the UDK engine.

I am not too sure where to start as I have limited UScript knowledge. I think it involves creating your own custom vehicle class and using matinee to change the camera when the pilot enters the jet. also hope to do a weapons system and balance the damage on destructible terrain.

if anyone knows where to start with this or any resources which could help it is much appreciated :) so far I have rigged a test mesh up in UDK and am trying to find how to script it

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I'll say this: unless there's something that already flies how you want in Unreal Tournament 3, or an example elsewhere, it won't be easy. How will it handle?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i would take some code from ut3 into udk for one of the flying vehicles than extend from that to make your class.

you shouldn't need to use matinee, since the vehicle class should be able to tell the player controller class what camera script to use.
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    hey thanks for the replies :q

didnt realise you could use code from UT3 in UDK, that will help a lot. The Raptor from UT3 would be a good point to start from. I should be able to use the Raptor Code to make my own custom Vehicle class where I can adjust the movement and weapons controls accordingly?

if I need to set up an IDE to start working with the code, is nFinge+Visual Studio the best option?

@JamesWild
    I am unsure how the vehicle will handle as the design is still in process. Here is a concept by Vitaly Bulgarov which has given me some cool design ideas and inspiration for this project
    7wY3B.jpg
    Another from DX:HR
    deus-ex-human-revolution-b-ee-008.jpg

In the first concept, the vehicle is jet-powered which means it wouldn't have as much low-speed control as something like the Raptor or the Banshee from Halo. In my design I will give my vehicle thrusters for maneuvering and rotate the jet engines for takeoff similar to the 2nd image. This means I can have some nice controls for maneuvering at low speeds and also keep it believable

@passerby

Thanks for the advice, I will try and set up my custom class and rig the vehicle up. Still not 100% sure on how to do this but the UDN should help there. I am also modelling the cockpit of the vehicle and using a scaleform UI as well as plugging variables like the movement/pitch/yaw into the UI, I thought you had to use matinee for this?