Home Technical Talk

Texel density per meter?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
I was wondering what guidelines people here usually adhere to when it comes to texel density. For example, if I'm completely unwrapping a prop, would 512 per meter be a good standard? (a prop that is at ground/eye level with the player).

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I guess this is more dependant on the importance of the asset, the platform and how much texture budget you have.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if its for personal stuff, it doesn't matter. if its for a game, a technical director will probably have some info on what you should be using. generally its dependent on how important/close the player gets to an object and what platform you are designing for.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, 512 is a good enough resolution to aim for.

However, if you want to get technicall... It depends on a shitton of factors like level size, platform, movement speed and all kinds of things. So you will have to figure out how to balance your budget, whether you want to use tiling textures, blended textures, unique textures everywhere? How many props, how large, how varied? What materials, how many maps per material? Can you use lower resolution for some things like specular or glow? Will you load sections of the map at runtime, will there be fixed levels, will the whole world be loaded at once?

But for now, just using 512 will likely suffice.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    There aren't too many concise answers to this, but I'll try to at least give my perspective.

The rule of thumb I used to follow was (as a base) 512x512 of texel resolution for every 8x8 feet of environment viewed in third person. If you keep to a consistent density and you make sure your mips are actually showing you the full resolution that you want when you want it, then 512 can go a long way. You can tile detail textures to add resolution if you need it.

Think of the actual display, so 1920x1080 pixels, and then think of how much space a certain amount of area will generally take on the screen. A 512 texture has about 1/8th of the resolution of the entire display, so if you're generally zoomed out and viewing the ground/terrain textures at an angle, then 512 would probably work fine for an 8x8 foot patch, 1024 of total detail resolution if you'd like.

Basically it's case by case and based on the specs you're aiming for, your approach to materials in general, and the math of how much detail you're actually going to see.
  • buggy221
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!
    I have a similar concern.
    I'm doing a test for a company and one of the technical/creative bounds is,"1 meter=512 k texture".
    I'm assuming the "k" is a typo,but if that makes any sense to anyone please clarify.
    Anyhow,I'm working in meters in maya. So in real world scale 2 meters in a the size of a door,so then by the rule of "1 meter=512 k texture" ,the door should be 1024x512...but,that doesn't seem right.That's a HUGE texture for just a door...
    Can anyone enlighten me and give me some insight?

Thanks!