Home Technical Talk

Baking out flat diffuse in Xnormal?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
Let's say I'm making a sci-fi crate. I want to assign flat colors to my hi-poly crate (red for bolts, green for metal, blue for everything else)

I want to do this because I need a flat color map for dDo.

How do I do this in Xnormal?

Edit: BTW, I'm creating my hi and low models in 3ds Max.

Replies

• Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Update:

I read that you can assign vertex colors to your hi poly model and export out the vertex colors with the model.
    I did this using the xNormal SBM Exporter. I clicked on High Definition Mesh option and clicked the Export Vertex Colors checkbox.
    I can see my vertex colors in the xNormal 3d viewer, but they are not baking out, the map just comes out all red.
    Any ideas?

Edit: In case someone else comes across problem, (scroll all the way down and click the Bake highpoly's vertex colors option, I must have missed this the first time around). Only problem, the vertex colors will bleed into one another. Bad for setting up base material ID's. Great for baking vertex painted objects.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    you can just export the highpoly elements separately in 3 different obj files then use xnormals "bake base texture" feature. in options check object ID and it will create a map with random colors assigned to each mesh.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    MM wrote: »
    you can just export the highpoly elements separately in 3 different obj files then use xnormals "bake base texture" feature. in options check object ID and it will create a map with random colors assigned to each mesh.

Thanks for the info. Worked perfectly.