Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Games Development student wanting critique and advice on folio.

As a student of Games Development, I have my folio up and running.

I would love critique on improvements to my page and any advice on getting my foot into the industry. Currently Melbourne based.

Thanks

James

RockfordDesigns.wordpress.com

Replies

• AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the first step is to pick a focus like, environment, concept, character modler , ect...whatever it is you really want to be the most and get f*cking amazing at it. As far as the work it's is concerned, your anatomy and understanding of clothing needs a lot of work, and your environments... you have a trash can as tall as a dumpster. But the fact you have touched ground in all game basics is exceptional, with your effort level I think you'll find it easy to push forward and take the next step (specializing). Good luck to ya.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    My advice to you would be to pick your best stuff and show that. Currently you just have lots of content but nothing to have an employer look at your stuff and remember it.

If you choose your best 3-4 drawings, best 3-4 models and show that for now. It will be better than just throwing everything you've ever done into a messy portfolio.

Once you look at your portfolio you can do what AlphaMeow said, focus on something and get really good at it. Make sure you keep up with your 2D but focus on either environments or characters or just a concept artist. Keep reviewing your portfolio and see what you lack and try to get better there. Hope this helps :)
  • Rockford-77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Alpha & Tac, much appreciated & will definitely take that on board.

I might cut the Bryce renders as they aren't really anything to do with what I'm after, and thin out the rest of the sections.

My concept art & programming skills are pretty rough & I know they are not one of my stronger points ;)

With that in mind, I do enjoy the sculpting/modelling and game design. Apart from the bryce renders, I'm quite new to the industry and learning a massive amount as I go.

Thanks again guys, is a huge help :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    About the website itself, I would;
    - change the banner. Get a wide one without mirror its other half. Banner can also be a lot shorter. (let's face it, it's nothing that great that deserve that much large space)
    - merge Welcome page and contact info page.
    - for the gallery, I would not have both Slideshow and Lightbox(click image to fit full screen thing). Go with just one. Personally, I'd get rid of Slideshow. Most ppl don't have time to wait for the slideshow to slowly shuffle around.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Gah, the forum was lagging, and I ended up posting twice <_<"