Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A couple of weapons

I dont usually get to make many weapons, so I thought it would be fun to make a couple of guns for a character I have in the workshop.

The first is a sawed-off shotgun. It's based on the the "Mad Max" design.

ShotgunScreen_03.jpg

ShotgunScreen_01.jpg

ShotgunScreen_02.jpg

The next is just a Colt/Browning 1911

HandgunScreen_01.jpg

HandgunScreen_02.jpg

Replies

• rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow they are really good , it will be nice to see the texture maps
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    The modeling is ok (still think you can remove some VC to get a better lowpoly)
    Also the texturing can use some work. all i see is some slapped on wood or metal with some random scratches.

keep on going
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    double post sorry
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You could save a lot of vertices by using floating geometry, on the wooden handle, the two metal studs in the wooden handle, the iron sight, the trigger, the circle near the trigger, etc. I think the texture looks pretty good, if a little plain. Put more detailing in the spec/gloss?
  • Boyd_Lake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I will give it another pass soon.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    As has been pointed out by others, the wireframe shows off that a lot of those edges can be removed. The rule of thumb is that if it isn't contributing to the silhouette, let it go! What is the poly count on these assets? I just finished up a handgun that was no more detailed than your 1911 that ended up being in the 2600 tri-count range. You should give yourself a budget like that. You can get away with a couple more polys for your shotgun though because of the big cylindrical barrels.

Also, I noticed that the slide and frame of the 1911 are attached? I'd detach those. When the 1911 fires, the slide pops back and a casing is ejected from the weapon. Even if you're never going to animate your weapon specifically, modeling with these things in mind shows employers/ colleagues that you're modeling with game-ready functionality in mind. :)