Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Surface Mimic - Skin and Wrinkle Scans using Silicone for Projection Painting

Hey All,

I’ve been working on a ultra high res scanning method to capture skin displacement details of faces, body parts, animals etc for projection painting using programs like Mudbox, Mari and ZBrush. I wanted to share the results, since it’s a little whacky and I haven’t seen anyone else doing this publicly.

The results are extremely high resolution, and pores, wrinkles, and skin blemishes are reproduced accurately. These sorts of details are perfect for applying in a “mix and match” fashion to existing models where extreme photorealism is needed.

Currently the face scans are ranging up to an equivalent of 16,000 x 16,000 pixels.

silc_face.jpg

To expand a bit more on the process, I use silicone to take an imprint of the person’s skin. I then lay it flat and scan it using a proprietary scanning technique.

Here are some toe scans using the same technique:

silc_toes.jpg

I’m also able to take animal imprints. Recently I scanned two alligator legs, with the cut seam along a single edge to preserve the surface as a single surface unwrapped flat. It’s a bit like a physical UV unwrap, which makes it ideal for projecting onto 3d surfaces.

silc_alligator.jpg

I’m selling these scans on the main Surface Mimic site, along with the other color scans and tiling stamps/alphas.

Male Head 40s
Male Head 30s
Female Head 30s
Male Hand 30s
Male Foot 30s

Hope you all find this interesting, let me know if you have any questions.

Replies