Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2010-2012 Unwrapping rotation

jwgfx
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
jwgfx polycounter lvl 7
Hi there!

I (and a few colleagues of mine) have a problem with unwrapping in 3DS Max (version 2010 and 2012). When I unfold-map of flatten-map, some clusters automatically get rotated so that they fit in the imaginary unwrapping square (even when I turn normalize off). Now I'd like to rotate these objects so that they are aligned on the horizontal and vertical axis again. The problem is that afaik MAX lacks the tools to properly rotate the object if you don't know the angle it's rotated in (which you don't in case of automatic unwrapping). You can ofcourse manually rotate it until it looks about straight, but when you zoom in/out you see the lines being crooked again. This results in quality loss in textures, and although it's really minimal it's still a waste of texture space.

Is there any way to rotate an object absolutely straight in the unwrapping dialogue? See the picture below for a visual explanation.

Thanks in advance,

JW

HELLUP.png

Replies

• respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Try selecting that edge and use align to edge from right uv panel.
  • Mark Dygert
    Image not showing up...

Normally I rotate it manually then use the straighten features, like "straighten selection" and "align horizontal/vertical". There might be some better tools in TexTools, I haven't used it in a while but I remember some rotating and straightening functions.

ScripSpot.com might have something too...

But yea out of the box the UV tools in max have come a long way but still don't have everything people need.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    max align tool doesn't work every time for me. I still don't know what is the changing factor. Won't work with angle snap on. Textools'one was more robust.
    Made one for myself in maxscript long time ago, that also rotates everything along their longest edge, instead of selecting edges one by one. Buggy and unprotected, but doing the job.

And this probably do the same, nicely shipped :) :
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/rotate-uvs