Home Unreal Engine

use prefab as interpactor

I want to build a moving train in unreal, but I can't find a way to use a prefab constructed from a modular set as an interp-actor so that I can properly animate and light each cabin with relative ease, but so far it doesn't seem possible. Is it? I'd rather not have to model each car individually and then animate the lights by hand.

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    That's a tricky one. If you're familiar with scripting you could create a new subclass of actor that had multiple mesh components, I suppose. Though, it seems that what you're trying to do should work right off the bat.

Are you sure that when you're building the prefab you're using interp actors when you place them in your level, rather than statics? I think the prefab will need to be constructed of interps, rather than converted magically.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've considered writing a subclass in order to solve my dilemma, but I'd rather see if it's possible to achieve without doing so, as I'm a bit of a novice at programming.

The prefab is constructed from interpactors, but the matinee say that it doesn't use the correct physics model.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    hhm..have you tried opening each subobject of the prefab and changing its physics to interpolating or flying or whatever? It might just be set to physics_none when added to the prefab or something..? You'll likely need to change the collision off of "none" as well for at least some of the objects.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't look like it's possible to make prefabs work like that, but I just discovered the attachment editor, and that seems to have solved my problems. Thanks for the help.