Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concept Redesign

Intro

Hi, Name is James, this is my first forum post on polycount however this is an example of my work the considerations I had gone through to create a Character to be taken into the UDK engine. The final result of the project will be a functional character for a fighting game, rigged and presented.

To note this is one part of the concept art work, I have also don't paintings of environments and vehicles.

The purpose in this University work what to redesign a character, in changing the appearance in anyway, Through out this project the design had be dramatically designed to a point without being told a gamer wouldn't realize so I could say the final project was inspired.

Primary Research

This sheet is a moodboard of the orginal character and what was seen in him, movement of limbs etc.

EpF0a.jpg

Colour theory behind the orginal character.

First thoughts was in designing a more horrific character then changing when looking at the Egyptian culture/ clothing and how was brought forward in films.

XM2ma.jpg

Looking at Details in clothing and what materials they maybe would give a image in how clothing would look later on.

uB8Sh.jpg

The use researching Culture and gods has been a major impact in the the design of the character.

Designing

wq1V9.jpg

Through the design process the use of silhouettes and the grey scale values result in a final concept of the model.

rfDZI.jpg

Number 13 design was the final idea that was processed into a game model.

Modelling

In the creation of the modelling aspect in this project the use of Zbrush was to design shapes in a dress and the anatomy, as well as elements in the armor.

Low Poly Wire frame

CBfQA.jpg

Zbrush Sculpt

ZzKZB.jpg

Final Steps

Texturing within 3ds Max and UDK engine.

Examples of the models and texture sheets used.

Normal. Opacity, Self lumination, Specular, Diffuse All 2048x2048 size

C2uKj.jpg

f2EcD.jpg

Renders without the Texture Maps.

Note these are renders of the camera being panned around them as well as editing in Photoshop.

UDK Unreal Engine
li4ic.jpg

3ds Max 2012 Scanline Renders

hGFuj.jpg

Next step the character being rigged. Please even tho the project is nearly finished there is still room for Critical Analysis on this project.

Replies

• haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like you put a lot of thought into this, but the final model is so far away from Anakaris from Darkstalkers that it no longer seems to be a redesign at all. It sounds like that may have been the assignment, but they don't even look like they belong in the same universe. Anakaris is so stylized and fun, and your model is much more keeping to reality.

Technically it looks like you've got things under control. You've got it in the engine and working, and it looks like there shouldn't be any problems getting it the rest of the way there. However, I think it would have helped to think about what kind of character she is. Like is she evil or good? How does she attack? How might she be animated moving around? Especially for a fighting game character you should be communicating a lot through visuals alone. Right now this could just be someone dressed up in a Halloween costume, if you know what I mean.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Resize your images, please. These ones are taking too long to load. I haven't had patience to wait and see.
  • Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    I've to second haikai, the final model is really far from the original one.

As far as I understood you, I would inteprete it like rewriting the story of e.g. macbeth. Redesign the story and setting so that a reader would not recognize the story as macbeth at first, but once you tell him, he will see the whole picture coming together and see the underlying story of macbeth evolve in your reinterpretation.

This is missing, for me both characters are just different, even after telling me that this is a redesign, I'm not able to connect elements of the original model to the final model besides maybe some colors.:(