Home Featured Artwork

Cannon

Hey, this is my first polycount post. Wanted to show off a cannon I just finished for a level I'm working on. I'm going for a chunky goofy theme in the models.
processg.png
mapsi.png
inengine.png
My maps are at 2048 in this image.

Let me know what you think, I'm open to criticisms.

Replies

• kmgilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome! Good Job!
  • JFinn_UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
  • kaushalsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you make them??
    But i must say good job!!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    not to be nitpicky, but one thing i noticed is that nearly all your cylinders have the same amount of vertices, you could get a visually more pleasing result by redistributing some of them to the silhouette of your object

5tudrp.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I agree 100% with the above paintover and was actually about to do just the same. I believe the stretching is pretty noticeable, and if you went in, you could easily remove that.

As for the rope texture, I feel it is way too clean. It sticks out like a sore thumb on the piece in entirety. I feel if you dirtied it up, it woudl help hide the obvious stretching, as well as blend the whole piece. Rope isnt always brown btw, especially with age, it turns a dark brown/green color with mold, rot, and moisture. If you went in and blended the two together, you could have an awesome piece here.

The cannon itself is pretty awesome, maybe the silver bracket, right above the circled stretching on the right photo, could be dirtied up a bit as well. You have quite a bit of age and wear on the cannon itself, but the rope/brackets/accessories seem to be too clean.

Cheers! And happy new year! Looks like an awesome project, though something like this would probably belong in the Pimping and Previews section rather instead. Showcase is normally for finished pieces.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    great model i agree with Add3r for the ropes, try to put some smudges or dirt on them its only couple minutes in photoshop :)
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree with SnowinChina's paintover of the LP wireframe, the topology is fine. You need a smooth edge flow with the minimum amount of tris and that's exactly what you have. Sure, the silhouette could be enhanced with more edge looping, but you are on a budget after all. He's right about the HP, however.

What really needs more loving is the texture. You have a good base, but you need to give the cannon some history with scratches, dents, dirt, all that sort of thing. I would also recommend some variation in the wood and rope to add visual interest. I'd personally make it look like it's spent years out at sea, sailing all over the globe and been through many battles.

What era is the cannon from? Metallurgy techniques were obviously far less primitive than they are today, but my bet is they were sand casted. If you look closely at old cannons you can see a graininess and if poorly made some air bubbles and unevenness. If it is an antique cannon it should have a patina coating, they must have used copper in the alloys back in those times.
  • DarthBotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthBotto polycounter lvl 10
    The texture really carries it well, I think. It covers up the low poly angles in a very effective manner. I have to admit, my eyes were drawn to the detail, rather than the topology, so it may have been a personal effect of polarization. But, from my end, I think there's potential!
  • Taylor Wood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is amazing. It almost looks like a photograph. I am very impressed and am interested in seeing what else you can do!
  • FearTek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man I like this good luck in the future
  • Herabek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of the feedback here is really helpful, in addition I'd take a look at the actual wheel's contact surface, the texture should be consistent with the grain of the rest of the wooden wheel. This is actually really tough to do right, and it's kind of expensive texture space wise, which is why adding some iron bands around the wheel, as was often done, would look better, make sense, and really not cost you much texture real estate.