Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Normal Issue

Hello all!New to Polycount,but developing my workflow within several softwares.

Software Usage:
3DSMAX 2012 (Gamma 2.2/W Nitrous Enabled)
Zbrush
3 Point Shader (DX9)

I've been having issues with Normal Maps for sometime now and have been attempting to figure out the problem on my own.Unfortunately,I've yet
to figure out the issue.I tend to follow a workflow in this order:

•Model in 3DSMAX(Including the Creases)
•Unwrap in Max and bake the UV's.
•Export as "OBJ" file format.
•Sub-divide,Sculpt,and create the Normal map in the second to highest sub-division.
•Export the lowest Sub-Division & then import it into Max.

After the import,I apply the Normal Map to the 3 Point Shader Normal tab and get stretched Normals.I have absolutely no clue of what's going on and
just hoped that the people here could give me a clue.I've been wanting to
work more with the special map types and Normals seem to be giving me the hardest time.

Stretching.jpg

Replies

• Melodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so painful to look at now.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This problem is related to your uving.Try tools/relax in the unwrap uvw editor, because those supportloops dont have proper uving.They are really close to each other on your uvmap, and this is why you get the stretching.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah those UVs don't look right compared to the lowpoly you're showing on the left.

Also, why this? "Sub-divide,Sculpt,and create the Normal map in the second to highest sub-division." You should be baking your normal maps directly to the lowpoly, not to some mid-res version.
  • Melodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura Everything's fixed and even though this was posted last year, I appreciate your contribution towards my past ignorance.

Bal I was pretty much just jumping into the area blind and overly-excited. Didn't really know what I was doing, but now I have a great understanding of the issue.