Home General Discussion

Digital Development Management

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
I've been busy trying to finish up school and just started looking at getting a job. Today I sent out some emails to a few contacts I've been building and someone came back with the tip that I should contact the website http://www.ddmagency.com . I have been viewing polycount for a while now and am under the assumption that the only way to get a job as an artist is to put together a stunning portfolio and then send it off to every studio in the hope that I turn some eyes. Are there really talent agents and has anyone ever heard of this company?

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll still need a great portfolio for such an agency. :thumbup:
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm sure about the portfolio part I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this company or agents in general? It looks interesting and I remember a while back Jason Rubin gave a speech about how the video game industry needs to translate over to a talent based industry and I'm wondering if agents are going to be the way things go.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Cerabix wrote: »
    the video game industry needs to translate over to a talent based industry and I'm wondering if agents are going to be the way things go.

I hope not. The major issue I've seen with 3rd party recruiters(meaning people not working at a studio/publisher), is they're seemingly entirely based around resumes and not portfolios. They're not artists, and really have no way of knowing whether you're a good fit aside from whether you match the company's requirements list.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard of this company before, but have heard of several others. Every encounter I've had with outside recruiters/headhunters has been them recommending positions to me that I am not qualified for, or don't match what my portfolio actuallly shows.

Keep working on your portfolio and network with people through this and other sites(by posting badass work and contributing). If there's particular companies you want to work for, do stuff that is in line with the work they create(both in style and quality) and try to contact someone that works there through polycount to see if they can give you a heads-up on what that company looks for.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked up these guys and they do seem like they've only worked on the production teams which is why was asking if any artist actually have used them.

Its weird reading the credits for games anymore because it feels like half the people working in the Industry are now marketing/publishers. I have a call with one of these guys coming up in a couple of weeks so I'll see what they say but like I said before, from everything I've found the entry into the industry is 89% portfolio, 10% who you know and 1% luck. I wonder what a talent agent would even do?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recruiters (Talent Agent is a euphemism) are generally only useful for senior management types.

Good recruiters can find open positions that aren't listed yet, because they have industry contacts. A good recruiter can help shepherd you through the hiring process, which helps sometimes because HR in games are notorious for being bad at managing applicants. They can help you improve your resume, get you connections to apply to, improve your cover letters, and prep you for interviews.

Only use a recruiter after you've exhausted your personal connections... the vast majority of game jobs are filled by someone who recommends a friend.

If you must use a recruiter, only use one that a friend has recommended, because the industry is flooded with bad recruiters (and horror stories).
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric. That helped out a lot. I talked to a designer from CCP up in Seattle during The International for Dota 2 and was actually suprised that he got his job from friends recommending him. I feel like I should have done a better job networking with my classmates now. I'll keep working on my portfolio and attending IGDA meetings and see if I can get something to happen.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forums like this one are an excellent way to network, since you can post your art, show improvement, and be a part of others' threads too. Plus there are a lot of experienced developers here, way more than the local IGDA. Though face-to-face is also great.

edit... to that end, you might consider using your real name instead of an alias. Name recognition has certainly helped me, after contributing here and elsewhere for a while. That wouldn't have happened quite as well if I had stuck with the old nickname I used to use. Others here have changed to their real names as well.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took your advice and Adam was nice enough to change it. One last question which is probably a bit off topic but I feel like I need to take stuff from scratch to game ready before I post it on here. Should I start posting models that do not yet have normals or diffusals?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some start with posting the roughest napkin sketches and develop from there, some simply post finished work. Depends on what kind / how much feedback you want.
  • johnleee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I'd enrolled for (and am eagerly awaiting) the HTML5 course a little while back, but hadn't seen the parallel programming one. Signed up now! :D