Home General Discussion

Advice for sculpting in Zbrush?

Hello!
This is my first post, I hope this is the right spot to park my thread in.

Anyway though, I've been sculpting things for a couple of months now, but the models I have sculpted are lacking alot of detail and realism.
I've watched many tutorials, but none seem to help me improve the quality of my sculpts. I have loads of great ideas in mind, but I just can't sculpt them properly.
I'm looking for some advice from experienced Zbrush (or Sculptris) users that can help me improve.

This is one of the most recent things I've made:
thing.jpg

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, welcome to the forum :)

A good start is getting as much out of each subdivision level before moving up to the next, so you can get the most out of the form and leave the detail to be a nice addition if the view is ever close enough.

Look at your model it seems very smooth but the forms are very simple ie. very straight cylinders with some surface detail on them.

Have a look at some of the models that come with zbrush (in Lightbox I think, stuff like the dog and big fat guy) and skip up and down the levels to see how the models still look interesting at lower levels. A good way to check your work is to squint so you can't see details but can still see if the forms look good.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Maybe have a look through some books such as this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ZBrush-Character-Creation-Advanced-Sculpting/dp/0470572574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324197683&sr=8-1"]ZBrush Character Creation: Advanced Digital Sculpting: Scott Spencer: 9780470572573: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Some basic stuff that will help:

Have a strong concept to start with.

Use subdivisions intelligently. Start the base forms at the lowest subdivision possible. Only go up as you need to - a common mistake is to subD high right away and try to make all the changes at the highest level. Make big changes at the lower levels.

Try something simple first. Google image for say a greek pillar, or a wine barrel, something simple-ish and try and make that. See what results you get, post here. Tell us what techniques you used.
  • Vincentor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I tried making a barrel base (Which I don't think turned out really good)

barrel.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to do the top.