Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Noob Learning Challenge, making another girl (NSFW)

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Hey guys, i promised ininja i'd try and devote some time to helping with his challenge, so that's what this thread is about.

i've decided to make another girl. and while i do have a few ideas about who/what i want it to be, i'll be covering that part at another time (possibly over the weekend, depending how busy i am). i'll be documenting as much of this as possible, in a similar fashion to how i did with Rogue.

for the moment though i'm going to be constructing base meshes, or rather, correcting one i'd made before. i'll be going into a lot deeper detail of the proportions i used while making it, and i'll be redoing a lot of the topology of the mesh before i even think of sculpting.

any time i work on this, i'll post a hangout link here for anyone who wants to come and chat, ask questions or whatever. so please feel free if you think there's anything you can learn from me, OR teach me!

so here goes, basemesh time!
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/03040fe0a713f203406acc23a964fe58ffd645f1#

Fair warning –

There will be NSFW content in this thread, lots of naked reference I’ll be using

time and again. If you’re at work, are squeamish, are under-age, or your parents don’t like you seeing this kinda stuff, you shouldn’t be in the thread.

Choosing the girl –

For this step, I pretty much went through my inspiration folder + google searches to find something that caught my eye. I wanted something that would allow for some cool shapes in the silouhette, but not overly covered up… I still feel pretty bad at my female anatomy and proportions, so I wanted something that would push me to get those on track.

I finally settled on this piece by Michele Chang

annah.jpg

I’ve emailed Michele and asked permission to use the file, hopefully it’ll all be okay, if not I’ll have to revise the concept and do something else.

Last night I spent a lot of time gathering body reference, I went through my rather huge catalogue of reference on my deviantART page. Over the time I’ve been a member there, almost daily I’ve gone through new modelling submissions and added to my favourites. So last night I went through the favourites and found ones which represented the feel I was going for… generally speaking it was:

• Wide hips
  • Broad shoulders
  • Slim waist
  • Dusky eyes
  • Pouty lips (but not duckface!)

After finding those refs, I stuck them all on a page together, trying to put body refs all on one side, and facial refs on another. After that I isolated specific features of the face and sketched them out, and did the same for the body refs.

I can’t stress enough how important this is to get you into the feeling of your character. Getting to grips with the broad shapes and gestures before you start sculpting will absolutely get you on the right foot going forward, and NOT doing it is detrimental to your end result, and to your growth as an artist.

I’m not the best 2d artist, in fact I’m pretty shitty. But I feel like every time I do this I get a little better.

nlc_refpage.gif

Replies

• artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Nice! Will be subscribing to this thread for sure so I can watch this develop. Good luck! can't wait to see the first images :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Can you post an imgur or something for those of us without g+, or who have it an just don't want to sign in all the time?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah like i said, i'll be documenting similarly to how i did with rogue, so there will be images and stuff to go with it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Fair warning –

There will be NSFW content in this thread, lots of naked reference I’ll be using

time and again. If you’re at work, are squeamish, are under-age, or your parents don’t like you seeing this kinda stuff, you shouldn’t be in the thread.

Choosing the girl –

For this step, I pretty much went through my inspiration folder + google searches to find something that caught my eye. I wanted something that would allow for some cool shapes in the silouhette, but not overly covered up… I still feel pretty bad at my female anatomy and proportions, so I wanted something that would push me to get those on track.

I finally settled on this piece by Michele Chang

annah.jpg

I’ve emailed Michele and asked permission to use the file, hopefully it’ll all be okay, if not I’ll have to revise the concept and do something else.

Last night I spent a lot of time gathering body reference, I went through my rather huge catalogue of reference on my deviantART page. Over the time I’ve been a member there, almost daily I’ve gone through new modelling submissions and added to my favourites. So last night I went through the favourites and found ones which represented the feel I was going for… generally speaking it was:
    • Wide hips
    • Broad shoulders
    • Slim waist
    • Dusky eyes
    • Pouty lips (but not duckface!)
    After finding those refs, I stuck them all on a page together, trying to put body refs all on one side, and facial refs on another. After that I isolated specific features of the face and sketched them out, and did the same for the body refs.

I can’t stress enough how important this is to get you into the feeling of your character. Getting to grips with the broad shapes and gestures before you start sculpting will absolutely get you on the right foot going forward, and NOT doing it is detrimental to your end result, and to your growth as an artist.

I’m not the best 2d artist, in fact I’m pretty shitty. But I feel like every time I do this I get a little better.

nlc_refpage.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    By what stretch of the imagination do you qualify as a noob, Gir?

Regardless, I'll look forward to seeing where you go with this. I'm surprised you haven't got any of the original Annah-of-the-Shadows designs on your inspiration board.
    annah.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There will be NSFW content in this thread, lots of naked refere...
    Subscribed.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Jackablade wrote: »
    By what stretch of the imagination do you qualify as a noob, Gir?

Regardless, I'll look forward to seeing where you go with this. I'm surprised you haven't got any of the original Annah-of-the-Shadows designs on your inspiration board.
    annah.png

man, i didn't even know this was the original character! hahaha, i'll have to google it now for sure!

cheers.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So i spent a lot of today working on the base mesh(es) and getting them where i wanted to be. i used the mesh i made for rogue, but modified the topology in places that i felt were underperforming or making my life difficult later on.

i like to use the base meshes for the final topology where possible, and one of the things i noticed was happening before, was that due to the direction of the edgeloops from the chest and around the shoulder, there was some harsh pinching if the arms were raised above shoulder hight. to rectify this i've made it so that the edgeloops flow from the chest and down the arm, instead of around the shoulder.

again, i've split the model up into polygroups before i started any sculpting or reproportioning. i wanted to make sure that potential problem areas had their own groups, as well as segmenting the body in general, making it easier to work on individual sections as needed. the polygroups i chose are:

• head
    • upper lip
    • lower lip
    • eyes
    • ears
    • chest
    • upper arms
    • lower arms
    • hands
    • hips
    • upper legs
    • knees
    • lower legs
    • feet

another thing i've done, is created a set of basemeshes, starting with the global average hight for a woman of 1.75cm, at 7.5 heads tall. then made an idealistic base at 180cm, and 8 heads tall (which i'll be using for this model). and another "heroic" base at 185cm, and 8.5 heads tall.

nlc_basemesh.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Will be watching this!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    aaaand here's where i'm at with blocking out major muscle masses and proportions. everything is largely where i want it to be and the main shapes are sitting in the right places.

now i just have to tweak it until it's hot!

glYl8u.jpg

will do a proper write up tomorrow when i'm more awake. cheers guys!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    something about the shoulders is a bit weird, tiny bit too small perhaps.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Came here to say this too, was surprised to see fan art of Annah make an appearance! She's an interesting character though, will be keen to see how this progresses! Since you haven't, you should definitely play Planescape: Torment :)
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    aaaand here's where i'm at with blocking out major muscle masses and proportions. everything is largely where i want it to be and the main shapes are sitting in the right places.

now i just have to tweak it until it's hot!

will do a proper write up tomorrow when i'm more awake. cheers guys!

Blast my house repairs. Is saw your hangout but didn't have time to join. I was really hoping to see you work on this in real time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably not overly relevant if you're happy with the concept you've got there, but I think if I was trying to do an updated take on Annah, there's a few elements I think that that design has lost.

Annah is supposed to be attractive, but she's also a thief and pickpocket who lives in a garbage dump and tends to pick fights with people in the street. Her gear is all mismatched, having been either stolen or cobbled together from junk. With that in mind I'd probably make her a bit scruffier, a few scars maybe even a slightly crooked nose from a break. I'd also make the components of her armour more distinct from eachother.

There's also the fact that the appearance of the original design is loosely based on the voice actress, Sheena Easton, for whatever that's worth.

Like I said though, the concept will make for a nice model, even if its a divergence from who the character is.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa, 4 hrs sculpting and you got that from that basemesh O o?

Took me days and days and weeks sometimes >_<"

SUBSCRIBED !!!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks Jackablade!

will bear that in mind while i do my paintovers.

speaking of which.... hangout link! https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/c421c95807b61b20200e3f89412c14faab5a3071?authuser=0&hl=en-GB#
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff Lee! I can't wait to see how this turns out. I smell a portfolio piece!
    Wish I could join the hangout, but I'm leaving the house.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    okay so, a little on how i started out the body sculpt.

i can't really say much as i didn't really DO much. i used the move tool almost exclusively, masking off areas to make things easier, pushing and pulling to get the right shapes. really, that's it.

just pay attention to your references and the character sheet you made earlier and you'll do fine! the biggest problem area was the stomach. the character description says that she is an atheletic acrobatic kinda character. but the concept painting i'm going off, shows her with wide hips, and almost fatty looking legs and arms. i think she should probably be a lot shorter than i've made her, but that's not something i'm going to change. i like the build i've given her.

that said, i've tried to steer away from atheletic build ladies, Annah has a nicely toned stomach in the sculpt i've made, but you can't see individual ribs (like you can with most atheletes). i want to give her just that thin layer of "puppy fat" that keeps her healthy looking and not overly lean.

and now for the sketch over!

i find this is a really important step in visualising your end goal. take some renders of your 3d model and paint over the top. visualise where you want to go with things, where you want to take certain aspects.
    after reading up on the character, it sounds like she grew up in some kind of scrap yard, all her armour is mis-matched and it sounds like, scavenged. so i want to reflect that in my sculpt.

so the look i'm going for, is like... her arm sleeves were torn off of a jacket, and have beaten metal plates riveted on, and also held in place by cord straps. i want this reflected in the pant leg as well. she's only got one glove in my vision, which has a larger plate strapped to it. not cleanly strapped either.

i loved the idea of having some wild-west style holsters for her knuckleblades, so i'm definitely keeping those in. and for her shoulder pad, i want to have some kind of daemon skull that's going to be strapped onto her arm, with the strap running through the eye sockets and horns etc. i just feel this could be a cool design.

i'm not a great 2d artist, but i feel this is such an important step that i just have to do it, regardless of my feelings about my abilities.

nlc_sketchover.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I'll be watching this closely! :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I don't mean to sound highly immature but I like boobs.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely following this. :) Looking good so far, gir! I like the paintover idea at that point in the process.. I'll try that with my next character.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Good to see you're incorporating some of the neater aspects of the original design like the holsters.

I remember one of the higher damage punch daggers in the game is a fancy corkscrew which could make for a fun addition here.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey man, I really like the costume you're going for, pretty solid design :) Can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    yoooo, I have some comments about your anatomy so far

POSE: she's currently too upright, move her head forward, shoulders back, hips forward

SHOULDERS: shoulders have far too little volume in the front view, and are also too low. the clavicles are also too flat for the position of her arms. Take a look at some good shoulder and clavicle reference.

HEAD: The neck is a little long, and slopes up too much. The head is very round, it needs to be a little more retangular, see the paintover. It also has a little too much mass in the back of the skull. The face has some issues, namely the chin and neck. The chin is too far back , and slopes down to the neck too much, which gives a fairly unnattractive look; see this picture for how it should look:

profile-of-woman039;s-face-thumb14445339.jpg

Some other smaller issues: The things are too cylindrical, they need to be a bit more angled and the breasts need to slope down in the side view more, they currently have a weird indent in the middle.

JkNVs.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    doing the first refinement on the body now. paid special attention to the bodyfat level she looks like she has in the concept. it's actually been really hard trying to keep all the shapes right and get her where i want her to be!

special thanks to Silvia for helping me out in the hangouts, making sure i got the boobs better than they were (remember she will have clothing on, so i've sculpted them as if the clothing is already there).

also, tightening up a bit more on the anatomy, hands got a first pass, the face got another pass too. will update soon!

nlc_refine_1.jpg
  • almighty_gir
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    nlc_refine_2.jpg

refined her a bit more today, got some of the clothing in... just block in with no detail for the most part. gave her a hungry bum, and seem to have lost some of the arch in her back... so i'll work that back in tomorrow!
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lee, great work! I do see one tiny problem, the iliac crest is almost non-existant!
    Even a person with a very slightly thicker physique, much like your character should always have that visible landmark in their hip area!

Also the legs a bit thick? They were perfect before!

It looks really off to me (legs) in the base mesh -- her stomach area / hips aren't proportionate to them, but it sorta looks like you may have fixed it in the most recent iteration.

Good work though... looking forward to updates buddy :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey guys, sorry i haven't posted recently. been so busy with work i haven't had much time to make progress on this!

so i did a couple of clothing passes and i'm starting to get to the point where i'm happy with how it's turning out. still needs a lot of refinement, and cloth definition. but it's getting there.

i want to mix up the metal plates on the leg a bit more by maybe having some chainmail strips hanging off of it or something, will see how i can work that in for sure.

but here's where she is at the moment.
    nlc_refine_3.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    nlc_refine_4.jpg

things are starting to come together now, need to do the straps going on/through the skull on her shoulder... the idea i was going for is that the skull has been looted (or even a legitimate kill), and has been stuck onto metal spikes that are fixed onto a leather shoulder pad, and has straps to further tie it down to the arm.

still need to make the glove and weapons.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool! One of my favorite characters in Zbrushy goodness. I really like how it's going.

And if you don't mind a question from a knowledge seeker like me... is there any particular way in which you approach the folds in the boots? They're way sharper than when I try stuff like that.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man, typically i start from a really low subdivision and use clay tubes to build up the forms i want. and as i move up the subdivisions i think about how the folds would/should interact with each other. then i typically use the dam standard brush to carve in and pinch out futher, and finish off with the pinch brush set to lazymouse at strength 30-40 or so.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Dat ass man. She's coming along great
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Oh god, man, I would greatly appreciate any form of tutorial for wrinkle folding. Especially around the leggings areas...

This just keeps getting better and better.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head seems small
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @Skillmister, thanks man! it's all about dat hungry bum!

@PyrZern, i'll try to get some kind of tutorial up, just thinking how to format such a thing the best way... there's plenty of tutorials out there already, so i don't think i could really share any unique insight, but i'll try!

@Achillesian, see the scale reference i made.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Looking good, keep it up! I wanna see this finished
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    That... poor rear end, I just feel so sorry for it... The ass just wants to be free!