Home Technical Talk

New modelling beginner here

Right, I'm just going to go all-out and jump right in. I'm what you'd call an extreme beginner, to the point where the only thing I've done is just load a sphere and a face in 3DCoat and then retire because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I've always wanted to be an artist, especially for games, but I've never had the idea of how to actually do it. I've been drawing on paper for a couple of years and even attended an art elective but I absolutely hated it because the process behind drawing on paper and such simply disinterested me.

Well, that was until I took a look at some raw models a few months back. I was so very impressed by what I saw that it just inspired me to want to do these models and environments. The other night I stumbled upon these forums on a huge forum post with over 300 posts, many including actual environments from wine cellars to Japanese gardens, which just inspired me even more because when I was taking modeling into account, I was only thinking about models and not necessarily villages or architecture. I much revel in playing Minecraft and designing/modeling many of my buildings based off of architecture in our world, which is most recently the asian cultures (Korean, Chinese, Japanese)

Now, I'm 16 and in high school at the moment and I don't have myself under pressure by any large amount of work, so I think I've actually got time to learn, I just don't know where to start. I wouldn't say I'm a necessarily good drawer, I'm mostly just good at well-designed faces, mainly because I focus much more on the face of my character more so than it's body, which is precisely why I'm not very good at... well, bodies. That thought plagues my head from time to time; the question, do I have to necessarily be a good drawer or..? I mean, I've got the time and I have the will to really start modeling, I'm just not sure where to start. Any help at all would be deeply appreciated!