Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Human Head Anatomy Study (Jim Carrey)

mikey3d
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mikey3d polycounter lvl 6
Hey Everyone,

So I am modeling my first realistic human head,( I've always done cartoony in the past) and I want to get the proportions/face planes down right. Please give me feedback, its still a W.I.P. Thanks guys.

Here is some Reference Images

488176_10151090597343584_1367242364_n.jpg

jim_front2.jpg

3_4.jpg

Front

Front_Jim.jpg

Side

Side_Jim.jpg

Back

Back_Jim.jpg

3 Quarter front

viewport_grab_3quarterfront.jpg

3 Quarter front Wire

viewport_grab_3quarterfront_wire.jpg

Replies

• mikey3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ears aren't in there yet because I want to tackle the face structure and likeliness first.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Ears play a big part in making people look right
  • mikey3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, i know i just blocked them in for shape, gonna work on them next, fixed a few things on the model, edge flow in the neck jaw area, face, did some better renders too

Front:

AO_JimCarrey_front.jpg

Front Wire:

AO_JimCarrey_frontwire_comp.jpg

3 quarter front:

AO_JimCarrey_3quarter_front.jpg

3 quarter front wire:

AO_JimCarrey_3quarter_frontwire_comp.jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some of the stuff I noticed in your work, just needs some adjustments to get the likeness better.
    I always find it works if I do some paintovers over my model to see how I can improve it, so did the same for yours, using the penguin pic as main ref, just something very quick.

9qQwG.jpg

Wzqe3.jpg

Hope this helps you abit.
  • mikey3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thanks TheDarkKnight you are right on those fixes, I spent some time fixing those areas, still need to work on the eye and eyebrow area, i made his head shape and neck more believeable (rounder at the sides and pointy at the top as to being totally round on top) and neck not just being a tapered cylinder like I had before. The ears are still blocked in, will get to them soon enough.

I don't know what I was thinking about with those AO renders they are too white and blown out, sorry about that. I am just going to use a simple 3 point light setup for now.

Front:

Front_Jim_better_shape.jpg

3 Quarter Front:

3QuarterFront_Jim_better_shape.jpg
  • mikey3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so I did some changes to the model,it also has ears now. I think it's starting to get closer to kinda looking like him.

What do you guys think?

Front:
    Front_Jim_Carey1.jpg

3 Quarter Front:
    Front_3quarter_Jim_Carey1.jpg

Side:
    Side_Jim_Carey1.jpg

Back:
    Back_Jim_Carey1.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I dont think you will ever get the likeness without a sculpting program. You need to get the wrinkles, eye shape, fat around the eyes, nose shape, and all that stuff in order for it to look like him. You have a solid base mesh with good topology, but you will never get those details by tweaking verts in max or maya.
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a quick sketch for you. Watch your base proportions. Especially with the ear placement. Another thing is the space between his the eye and the edge of the face is too large.

It's all in the picture anyway, Cheers.

s0w24veo.jpg