Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MoonCactus' current works, crit welcomed :)

NOTE: This exact same post is in the digital sketchbook area- I'm sure you understand I didn't really want to re-type everything, also felt
it would be helpful to scatter myself around a bit (so to speak) :)

Hi everyone.... I figured it was about time I made an account on here. I'm studying Games Art right now and I'm in my final year at university, my goal is to become an environment/lighting artist. I do post on my uni's forum but I'm finding feedback hard to come by these days, probably because it's crunch-time for assignments and lots of people are posting. My classmates say this is the best place for help and advice and I've been really impressed with the standard of work on here. Well...here's stuff I'm currently working on, I really would love some guidance because I want to make a kick-ass showreel before the end of this year, and start working :) you guys know what you're talking about so please don't hold back on the criticism, my work needs much of it. Thanks :)

This is an environment I'm working on for my final year film. It's an abandoned underground vault built in the early 1900's. Definitely needs some love. Cobwebs, more destruction etc. Rendered in Maya right now, UDK soon.
HSkab.jpg

This is going to be a lighting piece eventually. As you can see, it sucks at present. I want to do two lighting setups, a night time one with a fire going and moonlight and a late afternoon one with little firefly things floating around. If anyone can link me to any good UDK lighting tutorials, please please do. It's something I really want to get good at :)
j27T3.jpg

My 1900's carriage. Me and my boyfriend stumbled on this awesome old battered carriage in Berlin, so I took lots of pictures and vowed to model it. This is the fruit of my labour. I very quickly dropped it in UDK to preview my textures, as you can see it really needs to go in a nice environment.
97ULE.jpg
AqmNe.jpg
cj8NM.jpg

wires, clean-up needed here
fMCHN.jpg

Diffuse maps (combined with AO)
zQZkr.jpg
JbLAT.jpg

This....this. I've always wanted to model a vehicle and I fell in love with Marek Denko's buggy series so I decided to make my own. It needs SERIOUS love.. in fact, you'll probably see progress on this very quickly as I'm working on it today. I'm grinding down into the high poly to get it as richly detailed as possible- then I'll make a low poly and bake it all down.
XzAyM.jpg

And here's lovin' I gave it today

JlAta.jpg

5GssW.jpg

xA4Oj.jpg

Yeah, so.... this is what I've got. Fire away, and be brutally honest, time to get serious about my future career. Thankyou people!

Replies

• MoonCactus
    Decided to put together a nice render set-up for the hi res buggy model, to show it off a bit- the model itself still needs tweaking and more added to it. :)

JWUVl.png

0B9NG.jpg
  • MoonCactus
    Hi guys, I've been going through hell with this personal project today- so many UDK lighting issues, some of which I have fixed except for a few- I was wondering if you could help with them:

1. Where are my particles? They just stopped emitting suddenly for no reason and now I can't get them back (there's meant to be a campfire)
    2. Why isn't the orange light for my fire showing up on the ground?
    3. Why won't objects with opacity maps cast shadows? (shack and tree leaves)

j2tfh.jpg

Also, I may be going crazy but I swear I can't see my normal maps in the scene.

Help would be appreciated!
  • MoonCactus
    Oh and how do I make my water look murky? It's 100% transparent right now :)