Home Technical Talk

mocha tracking not workingin AE problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi , I am still toying with AE and now I am on mocha tracking , I was following this tutorial ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yywDdtwFBcE"]TUTORIAL - How to Create Glowing Eyes with Mocha/After Effects CS5 - YouTube[/ame]

and another couple ones similar , but whenever I paste the eye shapes into a solid white tint block it makes the eyes shape but seems there is no data for the tracking as all is flat and stable at same position , sure if I press U I get the load of frames but are all the same and there is no change , so no actual movement tracking , how do I do get thosE?

Replies

• NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Nvm it was very ver offsetted from maintimeline position ...
  • JudgeJacket
    Offline / Send Message
    JudgeJacket polycounter lvl 9
    If I understand you right, you are trying to track the eyes but you're not getting any results?

I'm afraid I don't know much about Mocha, but After Effect's default "Tracker" works just as good for simple tracking jobs. I could tell you how to do that.

Load in your footage. Create a Null Object (you don't have to do that, but I always do). Open up the "Tracker" window. Select your footage layer that you wish to track. In the Tracker window, select Track Motion. Adjust that little box with the + in it that appears in the center of your footage to something you wish to track. (Ideally a small area with high contrast). In the Edit Target button (in the Tracker window) Make sure you tell it where to apply the motion to. In this case, the Null object. Click the Analyse Forward button, which looks like an arrow pointing to the right in your Tracker window. Your motion box will then attempt to track your footage. When it's done, click Apply then choose which dimensions you wanted to apply it to. X and Y is the default. Done! The Null Object now has motion tracking applied to it. From there, I would parent your effect to the Null Object.

To be honest though, it's very hit and miss using motion tracking for me. Unless there's good contrast to track and the footage is nice and slow, Tracker does a really sketchy job of tracking. In the end I typically adjust the tracking box manually whilst stepping forward one frame at a time. Just so things are accurate.

I know you already have used After Effects for a small while, so if all else fails, you could give that a go.
  • JudgeJacket
    Offline / Send Message
    JudgeJacket polycounter lvl 9
    Whoops! Guess I jumped the gun on that.