Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Model in 3D Max

First model I've made in 3D max. Not sure if it is good or not for a beginner but hopefully it is a start. Thinking about finding some textures to put on the house to get familiar with the material editor. Polycount 1,067. Criticism is appreciated.

Houserender2.jpg

HouseRender3.jpg

HouseRender4.jpg

Replies

• Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You better post some wire renders. Use the floppy disc icon so save the image.
    Small tut here on how to change the render resolution:

renyq.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Also a good idea to change the background from black to dark gray so it's easier on the eyes. Rendering (that tab that Lachtan has dropped down) > Environment > Background Color. You might want to change all your objects' colors to one color like gray (or whatever other non-distracting color you prefer) for a simpler read. Post your reference too, so we can see if you're nailing the shapes and textures correctly!
  • Crack Panda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

I would suggest colouring the entire thing in a default grey texture and showing the wire frame over it then take screen shots, otherwise as it is now it's extremely difficult to see any detail properly. So basically greybox it out.

It looks pretty good for a first attempt, but the lines are extremely straight and the shapes very basic which make it look more like a toy house than a real house. Try adding a few more details such as guttering. I would suggest looking at some references on the internet to help you get some inspiration for this. :)
  • John Crean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to sound nooby but how do you do a wireframe render?
  • John Crean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the wire renders.

wireframe1.jpg

wireframe2.jpg

wireframe3.jpg

wireframe4.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You don't need to render anything. Press [F4] to toggle wireframes over your model, like such:
    palmtree.png
    And then you can just hit [printscreen] and paste/crop with any image editor you like.

I much prefer this method because it's very what-you-see-is-what-you-get, gives a clear image of what the object is like, and doesn't have any wires from 'behind' the object cluttering the screen.

Anyway, for a first model this isn't too bad. There's still quite some issues to work through, of course, but it doesn't seem particularly wasteful or messy, and the proportions are decent too. The colors are horrid though =P. You can quite easily make some materials if you hit [M] and diddle around with the settings. Diffuse is the color of the material, Specular is the highlight. Assign materials wit this button.

Oh, and three last shortkeys for now: [W],[E] and [E] are to quickly move, rotate and resize things.
  • John Crean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys. Did not have a lot of time to work on textures today so I found some pre-existing ones online just to give me and you a basic idea of how it would look textured, I am not that fond on the wood texture though. I hopefully will have time at some point to make my own textures.

HouseWireframe1.jpg

HouseWireframe2.jpg

HouseWireframe3.jpg

HouseWireframe4.jpg

HouseWireframe5.jpg