Home General Discussion

Degree in Architecture to video game environment design

Hi,

With that being said, I am strongly hoping that I can land a job as an environment artist, with an architecture degree. I did some research and found that it is possible, so all is not lost -- is this realistically true?

I have no MAYA or 3ds MAX experience, but I do know Rhino 3D, Photoshop, and illustrator. I have downloaded MAYA and trying to transition into it.

So getting to my reason for writing this, I was hoping you could inform me on what to practice. Do I develop scenes just for renderings/photos or entire maps? Where do I get textures to place on certain things (buildings,trees,grass,etc), do I make them? Anyone know of the best MAYA youtube tutorial besides world of level design.

My portfolio would be pretty much architectural plans,sections, 3d images, model photos, and renders, however the portfolio and drawings are strongly design/theory based not your normal technical drawings which you may be thinking. There would be no environment artist things in it as of right now. I know some people go to actual video game design schools and their portfolios are filled with nice scenes, I am probably far behind.

Thanks,

Replies

• VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Environments for architecture and games share many common workflow operations but they are also vastly different. It's more than just knowing Max/Maya or having photo real renders on your portfolio. Do you know how to optimize your objects? Do you know how to bake high to low poly? Do you know how to layout a proper UV set? Take a look at the Borderlands 2 art dump, http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109497 , those artists do everything (models, bakes, textures) for their pieces.

Are you going to have your team members coming after you with torches when your 20 million polygon crate blows up the game engine? In architecture, our scenes are 50 million polygons and up, but all we need to make sure is if it can render on a render farm. The whole transition to real time is an entire skill set in itself.

I've worked in the architecture industry for my entire career and I dabble in environment creation on the side. It's a different set of skills needed for each. You really need to treat your portfolio as if you have nothing. Many times while you have this super tight rendering for architecture, it's as if people never have ever stepped foot into that space. Games, it's more about real world grime and damage. Games want to see that piece of gum on the sidewalk, architecture not so much. It's also not just about the grime, but where to put the grime so it makes sense. Where do objects wear the most, etc? I see architecture and environment artists as step-brothers rather than part of the same family.

I know you can make the transition but your portfolio now, the sketches and plans and more architecture based items, should not be the focal point. It should supplement your more traditional environment artist scenes. I think if you keep just your traditional architecture portfolio, you will have an extremely hard time landing even the most junior environment artist position.

Eat3D has some pretty good foundational material for you to learn as does the Gnomon Workshop. If you really want to do this, you may need to bite the bullet and invest in tutorials from industry pros and not necessarily some kid on YouTube.

The best advice I can give you from someone in the architecture side is to start small. Don't start off by tackling an entire scene. We all joke about crates and barrels, but start there. Get that thing looking good and you can build off of that foundation. It's a long road ahead of you and you have to be very dedicated, but you can do it.

Just my 1 cent.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The founder of Polycount, R13, has an architecture degree.
  • BRISK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, awesome responses guys.

Yeah as both of you commented, I guess I am a little behind or right at the beginning because I have no exp in either program, and have zero things in my portfolio that have to do with being an environment artist. People who went to school for Game Design can already have a top notch portfolio.

"Maybe model a barrel, or oil drum, bake it down and texture it and get it in an engine."

Probably will have to start with this and learn it bit by bit.

Thanks again for the response, a lot more than i expected.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    The last year of a degree is usually the time EVERYONE wonders if they're doing the right thing.

You're doing the right thing. Finish that degree, and you'll have an understanding that a lot of other artists tend to over look. It'll give you an edge! It won't be too late to go on and do a masters in Game design or something afterwards anyway.

In the mean time, get your hands on Maya/Max and play around. You won't get a great portfolio overnight, but if you keep at it, you'll eventually have just what you need to start applying for jobs.

Keep at it man, you're almost there! Architecture is awesome. ^_^
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    we have had a fair few people here with architecture degrees, and they produce some really nice stuff.

if you know your compostition and styles it can be a great benefit to environment art
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    yeah architecture seems to be a reasonably common way into the games industry - i've got a dual honours structural engineering and architecture degree and our head of art used to be an architect. like people have said you just need to make sure you've got a killer portfolio and it doesnt matter what your background is. once you do your degree and architecture experience wiil be a bonus but it's no replacement for a good game art portfolio.
  • BRISK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle wrote: »
    yeah architecture seems to be a reasonably common way into the games industry - i've got a dual honours structural engineering and architecture degree and our head of art used to be an architect. like people have said you just need to make sure you've got a killer portfolio and it doesnt matter what your background is. once you do your degree and architecture experience wiil be a bonus but it's no replacement for a good game art portfolio.

Yeah I see what youre saying, however my only worry is that without an undergrad education in game design, my portfolio will be crafted only with sub-par work done by me individually (learning the programs) instead of in a classroom setting with curriculum set.

I guess you gotta start somewhere though.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I wouldn't worry about that.

I am currently doing a "game-design/art" education, and altough it helps in some ways, unless the school has some really high standards for the assignments, it all comes down to the individual imo.
    This is just my personal opinion, but I personally feel like the people with killer portfolio's coming out of those programs, it's because of the person, not the education, or it played only a small role.

They teach you the basics: "this is how you model HP", this is how you bake down to a LP", "this is how you work with UDK", but everything after that is up to you.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    joeriv wrote: »
    I personally feel like the people with killer portfolio's coming out of those programs, it's because of the person, not the education, or it played only a small role.

Basically, yup!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    I'm in a similar situation. I earned a degree in computer animation in 2003. After a year of working in an animation studio on the production side (nothing creative), I landed a job in architectural visualization. No architecture experience was needed. Since then, I have been working in the field but now I want OUT. I appreciate good architecture, but I have no interest in working with it for the rest of my life. I guess it took me 10 years to realize this.

I've always loved video games and would love to move into the game industry. But my portfolio consists of nearly 10 years worth of arch viz. I have a decent job now in an architectural firm that pays well, but I work a lot of hours and rarely have time to work on a game-oriented portfolio. I don't expect my first job in the game industry to pay this well, but I feel like it's impossible to find anything without the appropriate portfolio/reel.

So my questions to you are:
    What is the most preferred course of action?
    Should I quit my job, go back to school, and work on a better portfolio? This seems like the most expensive option, since I wouldn't be working AND I would be racking up debt. But probably a faster route to a better portfolio.

Or, should I take some online courses after work and build my portfolio that way? This way I would still be making money to pay for courses, BUT time constraints would be an issue and I could probably only handle 1 course every few months.

I currently live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan, fwiw. Schooling here would be preferred, but I suppose relocating is an option. Any options or advice would be appreciated, thank you.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    i wish more environment artists had an architecture background...You can learn good modeling and texturing skills yourself, trust me.That's not the big hurdle. The true test is how developed your eye for proportions is, your design skills and how you apply those skills towards enhancing gameplay, the latter being the most important imo.

I wish i had gotten a degree in architecture, it would've helped a ton.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    MartinH wrote: »
    i wish more environment artists had an architecture background...You can learn good modeling and texturing skills yourself, trust me.That's not the big hurdle. The true test is how developed your eye for proportions is, your design skills and how you apply those skills towards enhancing gameplay, the latter being the most important imo.

I wish i had gotten a degree in architecture, it would've helped a ton.

I did a Degree in Games Design, and chose my last year being an all rounder and developing animation and scripting skills.... worst mistake I ever made - I wish I had just concentrated on 3D and 3D only.

My portfolio I felt wasn't good enough for a game studio at the time, and on a whim applied for a CGI studio who required a 3D artist for visualisation scenes... I got this job 5 days out of Uni, and worked my part time retail job at the same time until my probation ended incase I felt I wasn't up to standard / didn't continue working there... I didn't have a single day off for 4 months :(

They loved my portfolio, it showed a wide range of skills that would be adequate for the role and to help develop their pipeline... I've trained staff who have been in this industry for over 10 years learn how to use Zbrush, UVW Unwrap, and Bake Hi - Low Poly... Yet i'm only 22 and been here for 5 months.

I just model props/products all day to its highest detail... and because I can use Zbrush, Unwrap and Bake High - Low poly I'm extremely over used and hyped by all the senior staff....

However I still want to get into games, I find the lack of creative input soul destroying, so whilst I build up experience within an actual studio that has project cycles (i've worked on 2 multi platform apps whilst here) I'm slowly working on portfolio projects...

And tbh, whilst here i've learnt alot. Especially about lighting, composition material values and the way things are actually constructed realistically. Its given me a huge boost in my eye for detail and would never regret working here :)

Sorry for the mumbling... but all I can say is your background will help a TON, but it'll take a lot of dedication and you'll be fighting with yourself in some ways that your CG/archtecture side will want to do something one way, and Game 3D another (in terms of technique etc).

Goodluck and hope me 100 cents helped :D
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    narticus: I teach games / art in NYC... Don't go to game school. We teach fundamentals / art foundation / how to think / work ethic, which some people need -- but if you have 10 years of working experience, then you hopefully don't need that so much.

Instead, you might just need a private game art tutor (or some Eat3D / Gnomon / etc. DVDs) to sit down with you and walk you through the tools and techniques. Maybe take a non-credit fine art sculpture / life drawing / architecture drafting course somewhere for cheap. You may need to take some vacation time to build-up your game portfolio or something.

I would be really wary of an online game art course, personally.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus: I teach games / art in NYC... Don't go to game school. We teach fundamentals / art foundation / how to think / work ethic, which some people need -- but if you have 10 years of working experience, then you hopefully don't need that so much.

Instead, you might just need a private game art tutor (or some Eat3D / Gnomon / etc. DVDs) to sit down with you and walk you through the tools and techniques. Maybe take a non-credit fine art sculpture / life drawing / architecture drafting course somewhere for cheap. You may need to take some vacation time to build-up your game portfolio or something.

I would be really wary of an online game art course, personally.

Thank you for the advice. Using my vacation days to build a portfolio is a good idea. And I attend life drawing classes whenever possible. Also buying some Gnomon and Eat3d videos for sure. Does anyone use Digital Tutors, or are they not as good?
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    narticus wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice. Using my vacation days to build a portfolio is a good idea. And I attend life drawing classes whenever possible. Also buying some Gnomon and Eat3d videos for sure. Does anyone use Digital Tutors, or are they not as good?

If you are new to 3D apps stay away from Gnomon. Those are time lapses with commentary. Not sur if all of them but that's what I managed to find out after first DVD fiasco. I bought one and not only it was expensive it didn't really help me much in the beginning. I subscribed to DT and boy that made a difference.
    3Dmotive and DT are pretty awesome and these days I use them both.
    There is a thread in page 1 or 2 here with 3DMotives sales. Awesome courses for $5 each which is a steal. Not a fan of udemy though but for $5 it's a no brainer.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm very experienced with 3ds Max, intermediate with Maya, and a beginner in Zbrush. I really want to focus on environment design. Large-scale natural landscapes seem fun to create, and might be the first thing I try to make for my portfolio. What software do the big game companies use for that? Model in Max/Maya, then import into UDK or something like that?
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    narticus wrote: »
    I'm very experienced with 3ds Max, intermediate with Maya, and a beginner in Zbrush. I really want to focus on environment design. Large-scale natural landscapes seem fun to create, and might be the first thing I try to make for my portfolio. What software do the big game companies use for that? Model in Max/Maya, then import into UDK or something like that?

In that case Gnomon does have very nice environment creation tutorial for Maya.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/news/2011/06/environment-modeling-for-games/

Not sure about Max ones.

3DMotive and DT have some zbrush ones too. Just browse those sites, watch introduction vids (mostly free to watch) and go from there.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Visum :)
  • Kaede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaede polycounter lvl 3
    I dont know if i should make a new thread, since my case is kind of similar, so here it is:

I'm 28 and also holding an architecture masters degree, no experience, no 3ds Max or Maya knowledge - just a little Rhino. 2d autocad and photoshop, ofcourse, but still..nothing to do with games.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and i've decided that i'm not interested in finding a job as an "architect" (took me a while, i know!) rather as an environment artist (i've been always into games, animation etc). So, i'm basically at point zero.

I know i lack in imagination and drawing skills compared to most art students, but i'm a fast learner when it comes to new software and determined to work hard. I'm not so interested in movies or character animation; i'd say that my thing is 3d environments.

Hence, I thought of finding a masters that would specialize in exactly this field. Not general knowledge, not character sketching (not so much, at least!), but 3D environment drawing! I know most of you would suggest that i should learn some programs by myself, and most probably i will have to do that in order to apply for the masters, but i think this will be the most efficient way for me to get on track. I've made a mini research but the information i find about each master is kind of vague. And I really wouldn't like to pay and study again and not do exactly what i'm searching for!

SO! If anyone knows any masters of that kind (in Europe, preferably) i would really really appreciate some suggestion/ advice/ anything. :]
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Kaede wrote: »
    SO! If anyone knows any masters of that kind (in Europe, preferably) i would really really appreciate some suggestion/ advice/ anything. :]

Don't think you need a master's degree to learn that, in fact a masters degree for game seems like something i'd be wary of...

However, check this out, it's where i studied, decent place, not expensive (1600 euro/year for you) and decent chance you'll come out with useable skills:
    www.digitalartsandentertainment.com
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    I know i lack in imagination and drawing skills compared to most art students, but i'm a fast learner when it comes to new software and determined to work hard. I'm not so interested in movies or character animation; i'd say that my thing is 3d environments.

Then you should focus on strengthening your "weaknesses" rather than strengthening your strong sides. Design is something that you as an aspiring 3d artist benifits from more than you think. Seeing how concept artist do things is highly recommended, will atleast make you humble into what goes into it.

Start here

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign

Masters in game dev is mostly aimed toward programmers, not art. Your best bet is getting in contact with art folks, people in working the game industry, google and polycount. Watch process overview tutorials (as mentioned earlier in threads), try recreating steps on your own.

Just be prepared to devote a lot time into this.
  • Kaede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaede polycounter lvl 3
    I do not understimate the importance of the design process, in fact i understand that it's something really difficult which need special skills, not only patience. I wouldn't mind, though, if i was part of a team where someone made the design/idea and me transformed them into 3d:] Without that meaning that i dont want to improve my overall skills, I am actually more interested in the second part. That's why I am searching for ways to learn new programs and get in touch with people in the field..and a master that would specialize on 3d environment art seemed to me as the best idea. I feel like it's gonna be be much more harder and with a really slow progress, if i just go for it by myself..:(
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    I do not understimate the importance of the design process, in fact i understand that it's something really difficult which need special skills, not only patience. I wouldn't mind, though, if i was part of a team where someone made the design/idea and me transformed them into 3d:] Without that meaning that i dont want to improve my overall skills, I am actually more interested in the second part. That's why I am searching for ways to learn new programs and get in touch with people in the field..and a master that would specialize on 3d environment art seemed to me as the best idea. I feel like it's gonna be be much more harder and with a really slow progress, if i just go for it by myself..:(

Yes, well it wasen't entirely correct of me to say you should focus on a different aspect of the art. You should ofcourse pursue the thing you would want to focus on. You wrote 3d drawings, which I thought you indirectly meant concept art in some strange way, my bad.

But again, a masters in 3d environment is something I haven't seen anyway, since game art is more of a trade skill you seldom find master degrees within that. There are a few threads here on polycount, amongst a sticky with discussions on getting a degree or not. In the end its up to you which you want to do.

Now I'll stop derailing this thread :).
  • Kaede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaede polycounter lvl 3
    Sam Hatami wrote: »
    Yes, well it wasen't entirely correct of me to say you should focus on a different aspect of the art. You should ofcourse pursue the thing you would want to focus on. You wrote 3d drawings, which I thought you indirectly meant concept art in some strange way, my bad.

But again, a masters in 3d environment is something I haven't seen anyway, since game art is more of a trade skill you seldom find master degrees within that. There are a few threads here on polycount, amongst a sticky with discussions on getting a degree or not. In the end its up to you which you want to do.

Now I'll stop derailing this thread :).

Yes, I guess the word "drawing" wasnt the right one! heh:poly136:
    I'll check the thread you say, but for me, if there is a master on that, i'm keen to do it. I just can't understand from some descriptions only.. many are those who finish a master and say that they just gained general knowledge; this is what i want to avoid.
    Thank you for your answer anyway!:)