Home General Discussion

Doodling in 3d?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
Do you ever just start modeling with no plan at all, or do you always have refs and a plan?

I always have my tablet/tablet with me and just start playing with polygons or sculpts between classes and during lunch break. I find that I come up with some interesting WIPs but finishing them is way slow because there is no defined direction from the start. Because of this, I think I now have about 20 base meshes to use for future refinement.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You dont need 20 base meshes for different concepts. Yes you do rough out the mesh and start randomly, have some sort of concept, a rough idea and seek references based on that for good practice.

What do you want your model to look like, what environment is he for and so on.

If you just like to doodle around, just doodle around.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I doodle a lot in Zbrush.
    I mostly have no idea what Im gonna do. I just start with a sphere and sculpt away.
    This can be fun, and good practice, but you really should try to impose some structure, otherwise you'll spend too much time screwing around and not enough actually producing.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    I doodle a lot in Zbrush.
    I mostly have no idea what Im gonna do. I just start with a sphere and sculpt away.
    This can be fun, and good practice, but you really should try to impose some structure, otherwise you'll spend too much time screwing around and not enough actually producing.

I think you just summed up why I have no finished projects :poly142:
    However I'm getting loads better and faster at porportion, anatomy and technigue.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planning is absolutely essential in my book.

That's because these days, I typically go into a project with an end goal in mind, whether it is a project at work or a personal project.

When you plan more, things come together faster and you can also work out issues faster in the planning stages. With personal stuff, I usually have a goal for what I want to learn, what type of mood I want to project for an environment, where and how set pieces are revealed to the player (whether it is a large set piece like ruins, or smaller ones like a detailed cave; how you reveal these to the player can hint at their importance).

Of course, you often have to balance these grand reveals with action set pieces, whether or not there will be conflict at a certain area or if it was just made for the player to explore it.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I kinda disagree to a certain extent about structure. There is a time and a place for it, but I don't think this is it (in reference to the OP).
    If the entire point is to relax and just doodle, then relax and just doodle, it's not supposed to be or turn into anything. If it has potential, thats great, take a screen cap draw over it for a concept and plan to turn it into something bigger. Otherwise dont worry about it.

You need unstructured play time to remain fully charged artistically speaking. From what I can gather it sounds like your unstructured time is either being confused for your productive time or it's starting to eat into your productive time. Keep then separate.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i doodle in zbrush all the time, now with the dynamesh function it became even easier. just pulling shapes all over the place and trying to find something interesting.
  • Laze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i doodle in zbrush all the time, now with the dynamesh function it became even easier. just pulling shapes all over the place and trying to find something interesting.

This. Since dynamesh happened I spend a lot of time just messing in zbrush for fun, kind of like when you're bored you and start drawing random shapes on a receipt or something xD.