Home General Discussion

Portfolio Discussion.

Hey,

So I am sure this a premature to be discussing but really anytime is a good time to be discussing portfolios. A bit about myself, I am a student, I am always looking for work, and I am most likely going to be submitting a portfolio for review to LCAD as well as bringing one with me up to GDC. In general, I have a few questions. When going to events such as GDC is it important to have a hard copy portfolio or is an online portfolio just fine? How many pieces is the golden number that companies will approve of? Would a person reviewing a portfolio want to see more texturing projects vs. just AO passes of modeling projects? If I could get some input from industry Pro's I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Also, put up the kind of work you actually want do and not just show everything you can do just because.
    And don't market yourself as a student, market yourself as a professional.

And what an employer wants to see depends on the employer and what role you're applying for. Show stuff that's relevant for the company you're interested in.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all very much for your input I do appreciate it.

I came up to a new idea for this topic. I heard from some people that you want to target specific texturing styles of certain games to attract those companies while as I heard from others not to target the style because they may take it offensively like you are trying to do their style better?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    UrbanMaws wrote: »
    I heard from others not to target the style because they may take it offensively like you are trying to do their style better?

I seriously doubt they would take offense.
    If anything, it shows you can do their style and hit the ground running if they hire you.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they would take offense.
    If anything, it shows you can do their style and hit the ground running if they hire you.

Indeed. One could even generalize it to whatever proves you can do the job is a good thing.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay awesome.

Im sure i've said it enough but i greatly appreciate the input and thank you all
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    5-8 of your absolute best pieces. Don't aim for variety. Specialize.

As a wise polyvounter once said:

Don't shotgun the games industry. Snipe it.

A website is a MUST in this day and age. An ipad/tablet device is a great way to show your work in person.

So what do you guys do to approach this goal? I mean you are not just going to pass a word of mouth to anyone who asks about your portfolio? Do you guys make your personal business cards with your ID info underlined by your portfolio website? Or do you pass a word of mouth to anyone who asks about your portfolio (as stated before. Like I cant imagine Employer giving much of a damn about someone who would walk around GDC and say "hay check out my portfolio website its www.mehfolio.com."

EDIT1: I suppose ipad could work.

o.o...(god I really gotta learn to read the fine lines between the post.)

Anyways to the OT;

From my previous job hunting for programming, many employers would just have a talk with you before they actually give you their email address and ask you to post a copy of your cv and a sample of your work.

What you can do is (if you really wish to give your portfolio(s) out at GDC,) if there are traditional sketches (Done and finalized pieces on paper,) you can put them in the traditional portfolio and take them with you. For the portfolio website, you can make a personal business card with your name, qualification under your name, and phone number under the qualification (on the left side,) Email address and your portfolio website under your email address (on the right side.)

EDIT2: I am just giving advice based on the general job expo, not the GDC.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey

I will take and consider any and all advice that comes my way. I appreciate all of it. Now something I was thinking of doing for any future job expo was having both the traditional style portfolio and the digital portfolio as a just in case you know. Because already as it is I Print my 3D renders onto the nice paper and bring them in to my teachers to critique and i dont know what it is about a 3D work printed on high glossy paper it makes them go WOW!!!!

as far as buisness cards I am working on just making a neat card to represent me but also convey all the info I would need to. I am just having trouble knowing what to put and what not to put into the portfolio because, I do want to become environment artist or a texture artist. which I am sure both are the same job in a sense.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can only tell from personal taste but for environments I'm more keen on looking at full scenes rather than individual assets themselves unless they're for breakdown of the said scene. That shows you can make objects that are consistent together.
  • crestas69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've recently been to the Eurogamer Expo this year to do some networking (and play some sweet game XD) and I found that the use of business cards were really useful for a quick way to give and receive contact information from people.

As far of what to include in the business card, I liked to create it using the same style as my portfolio with a small work sample and logo for my portfolio. One of the improvement that I wish to make to my business card that I would strongly suggest is to add a QR Code to the back of the business card linking to your portfolio, this will allow people quickly look into your portfolio while you are fresh in there minds.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Take your best piece of art from your portfolio, print a bunch postcard sized with your name, position and URL etc nicely typed and composed. And hand these out to the ppl u chat to at the events. Back in the day I used to burn a ton of CDs, print their face, print their box covers etc for attending events! But nowadays I think physical reels are outdated. So the postcard idea I think may have a bigger impact than a business card, and u can hand em out after demoing ur folio if u have an iPad etc.