Home Unreal Engine

Plugins for scene export from Max to UDK

I blocked out a big map in 3Dsmax, I need to get it to UDK but exporting the whole thing at once leaves me with billions of little pieces with poorly located pivots. Apparently there are some plugins that can preserve the location of each piece a bit better but the links I found to them were either broken or flagged by my anti-virus software. Any ideas for how to accomplish this most efficiently? It's just a gray-box so fanciness is not required.

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm...well, I do believe FBX does what you're asking. Are you making sure to combine all your geometry in Max before importing into UDK? Also, in UDK, during import of your block-out mesh, there is an option to "Combine Meshes." This may solve your issue.

Also be sure to freeze transformations (reset xform in max, I think), and delete all your history of all your meshes.

I do know for certain, however, that in UDK, you can use BSP to block out everything, and then Export your BSP as an OBJ file into any DCC app you choose, which is pretty cool.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Export your meshes as FBX (centered correctly at the world origin) and use a T3D exporter. Then you will just have to load the T3D file inside UDK to place you meshes.

I don't know any T3D exporter for Max however (but for Maya there is some of them on the web).
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Norman3D was working on UDKSync, not sure how far he's gotten, though. Annoy him via PM ;)

--> http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1533006&postcount=957