Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Patrick Cummins

Recently just joined Polycount, I'm a beginner 2d artist that's currently doing this as a hobby. Any critiques are welcome since my fundamentals are very weak.

57260_560195417340430_1630824853_o.jpg

Replies

• omgefg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Spontaneously thinking, you need to push your values more. There's a lot more I could give but it would be easier if you stated what you're trying to achieve with your work. What are you most interested in learning etc?
    And as you stated yourself, since your fundamentals are weak you need to do loads of studies. Draw stuff from life and put them up here so we can see your progress and perhaps even help you out on things.
  • omgefg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Spontaneously thinking, you need to push your values more. There's a lot more I could give but it would be easier if you stated what you're trying to achieve with your work. What are you most interested in learning etc?
    And as you stated yourself, since your fundamentals are weak you need to do loads of studies. Draw stuff from life and put them up here so we can see your progress and perhaps even help you out on things.

Thanks, I've been trying to push my values more but I guess I'm still not confident enough to do it correctly. To be honest i'm not really sure what I want to learn so I'm kinda lost at the moment. For studies how should I approach it? just go outside and sketch?

Trying out perspective and improving my strokes.

178113_555326097827362_1272314809_o.jpg

3737_561944777165494_1706748389_n.jpg

178279_561965233830115_714519214_o.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Study anything you want. For perspective, going out and drawings buildings from different angles would be good idea to see how things would foreshorten in real-life etc. Photo references are never bad either.
    For values, again reference. Copy some photos you think have nice values and get in to the swing of it that way.
    You know what you want to learn, take inspiration from things you like.

Oh by the way, I can really recommend this article that covers many basics.
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
  • omgefg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something for fun.
    266834_562597600433545_1719450127_o.jpg
  • omgefg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty neat design idea actually, although the wheels needs some reference. Your lines are too rough as well, even for a sketch in terms of readability. You also got some perspective issue at the front bottom of the car that should be addressed.

It's good that you put in a driver for scale although he doesn't match the perspective of the car.

I have a suggestion for an exercise. Make 4-6 of thumbnails for vehicle designs, maybe something in line with what you've got going on now, pick your two favorites ( or let others do that ) and make more refined drawings of them with cleaner lines, then take one of them and fully render in the materials, like the metals, rubber etc, particularly a whiny reflective chassis.