Home Technical Talk

[Source]TF2 Custom Viewmodel Problems

I've made some small modifications to the spy's knife viewmodel from Team Fortress 2 via 3DS Max 2010. I've finished the modifications I wanted, and UV unwrapped the model, it exports fine, and even compiles without any errors (using GUIStudioMDL). However, when I try and test it in either the Source Model Viewer or in-game, it simply doesn't appear in the first, and crashes the latter immidietly upon loading a map (when the renderer starts).

What kind of problems with a model could crash TF2, but not produce any export or compile errors?

Here's some details on the situation:

The viewmodel for the spy has the knife and arm in as one object (though seperate meshes). The textures however are seperate (at least with the default model, I'm not sure if there is a particular reason other than optimization for that), a knife texture and an arm texture.

To save time, I've recycled the default models animations via $includemodel in the QC. This should work, since the changes I made to the arm were fairly minimal, and I'm using literally an exact copy of the bones from the original (finished the arm, imported the original again, copied the skin modifier over, deleted the original mesh).

The QC File:

$cd "C:\Users\Liam\Desktop\test\"
$modelname "weapons\v_models\v_knife_spy.mdl"
$includemodel "weapons\v_models\v_knife_spyref.mdl"
$model "v_knife_spy" "v_knife_spy.dmx.smd"
$cdmaterials "\models\weapons\v_knife\"
$cdmaterials "\models\player\spy\"
$cdmaterials ""
$texturegroup skinfamilies
{
{"models/player/spy/spy_hands_red.vmt"
"models/weapons/v_knife/v_knife.vmt"