Home Technical Talk

How to get good sculpting topo in Zbrush for fingers

deolol
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
deolol polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, I sculpted my character and everything has been a relative breeze in terms of the head/body/legs arms etc - the parts that had defined geometry from the start.

However I left hands as an after thought and now i'm struggling to pull them out and have a workable geometry that i can manipulate at a lower subd, the quads are super long and hard to sculpt on. Any suggestions? thank you.

Replies

• Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Remesh with qremesher. You can split the hands into their own subtool and work on them independently and then merge them back on. You can use zspheres to make the fingers rather than trying to pull them out. If you do pull them out, holding alt for the move tool will extrude perpendicular to the surface, use a low falloff, and then qremesh. That should give you verts to work with and not merge the fingers together. You can also use Sculptris to pull out forms more dynamically, goz back to zbrush.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Start with a simple long rectangle, cut it up using the slice curve brush, then subdivide to victory.

You can also extract faces using Transpose (and either extract once and cut it up, or extact multiple times to work in the loops that way)
  • deolol
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys. The first method seems confusing but I can comprehend cryids way, should I do it from 2nd subdiv or a little more above?

edit: I'm struggling to get the clip to work the way it needs to, as bringing it back in causes it to clip outside, and rectangle causes a weird thing where it move geometry far back in a cut
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Slice Curve, not the Clipping brushes.

Because it modifies topology, you have to use it on the lowest/only subdivision level.
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    If you're going to go that route just make the base mesh of the whole hand in a modeling app and goz into zbrush. Modeling apps are designed for working that way.
  • deolol
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    @cryid

Ah, I see, unfortunately I have several subd's and I kinda need them :P

@Gestalt

I initially tried that but extruding out fingers but when I hit GoZ it just made a new tool.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    So is zbrush. They don't give you new extruding and slicing tools if they're not designed to extrude and slice :P
    Ah, I see, unfortunately I have several subd's and I kinda need them :P
    Either try freezing them, or manually clone your subtool, make the edits there, and project the details back.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Zspheres is the most simple method.
  • Farfarer
    I've had good success with the GoZ plugin. Tricky to set up, but once it's working it's pretty powerful. I've managed to append entire bodies to head sculpts without much trouble.

Drop down to lowest subD, GoZ to your 3D app, add the loops or geometry you want, GoZ to ZBrush et voil