Home Technical Talk

Tutorials for clothes and related skinning process?

Howdy folks!

I was looking around for a good tutorial about how to make clothes/props for a 3d mesh,

I have few models that would like to further personalize; so I've just left the base mesh and removed the previous clothes.
Now I would like to make few mesh to make some variety on the mesh, but with the chance to replace the mesh with different clothes (in this way I do not have to make all over the character every time; and I may also be able to swap these clothes at runtime while using a 3d engine).

Tried swapping textures but the results are quite disappointing; so I am looking for something that would show me how do you create extra pieces of clothes/armor and such, so I can apply them to a base mesh (going for the fantasy style, so most likely I would like to make characters like in a generic JRPG).

Also another issue is related to skinning: my mesh is already skinned, so if I add on top of it a new mesh, do I have to re-skin the whole mesh, or is there a way to just transfer the rigging and skinning to a piece of clothes....say a top of an armor, a pair of boots or a chain mail, up to a wizard robe.

I've looked around but I cannot find anything specifically talking about how to accomplish this....I've found few tutorials related to poser (and utilities related to move morphs from a figure to another), but I am not sure that it may work with non poser models.
The other tutorial that I've found, was based on second life characters. The author was basically transferring the rig from the standard avatar in second life, to his mesh, but I am not sure if the same would work on a mesh that I have rigged and skinned.

Any suggestion is more than welcome!!!

Replies