Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crystal Cavern UDK Scene

This is my last portfolio going into my Demo Reel before I start my next reel.

Crystal Cavern
~70k Tris
4 weeks at 130+ hours

AustinMorgan_GPF3_Version2B.JPG

AustinMorgan_GPF3_Version2C.JPG

AustinMorgan_GPF3_Version2E.JPG

AustinMorgan_GPF3_Version2F.JPG

AustinMorgan_GPF3_Version2D.JPG

Feedback would be appreciated!

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks good, but I think the rock texture is a bit too noisy and the level should be darker so the glowing stuff stands out more. (imo)
  • Ulwaen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember me the Dear Esther's Cave ^^
    You should decrease the saturation and this effect of patwork (too much color) then add more uniform lighting ;)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Images are aggressively blurry, is this DOF abuse or JPG compression? Probably compression due to distance artifacts. Anyway, it destroys your images
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man!
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear Esther was my main inspiration for this one :)
    I do agree that the saturation could be toned down a little.

My biggest fear with the lighting was having light sources coming from nowhere. I originally had more uniform lighting but my Instructor had me delete them all and start over :(

My Demo Reel overall is pushing more towards dramatic lighting. Less of an actual playable level and more of just an art piece in itself.

The format is JPEG and yes it looks worse than it could look. These stills aren't being used other than to show people for critiques on the level and not the photos themselves. However, it may be more helpful to have clearer images. I will use something else next time.

My rock texture has 3 vertex painting channels and one of them simply changes the spec and normal. I was considering having it also modify the detail normals so I can control where things are grainy since it works for some places, but not all of them, imo
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    could we get some wires? which peices are modular?
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    These are great! Really unique style, some form of 'wildlife' would be really cool
  • TK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TK3D polycounter lvl 12
    An untextured wireframe would be great, can you provide it?
    Otherwise, good work so far.
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st.PNG

The main corridor (above)

4th.PNG

The end hallway

5th.PNG

The entire scene

3rd.PNG

Here's a shot with lighting only on the Crystal Area. I made 5 Variations of crystal and ultimately only used about 3 of them. I reuse assets as much as possible!

2nd.PNG

Here's a better shot of the Emmissive Mushrooms. These are all made from 4 variations of models that use the same texture. Originally I had the emmissive lighting turned on but later decided to turn it off to speed up light baking.

7th.PNG

I ran the detail normals into the "smoother normals" vertex paint because I realized I was already using the Alpha channel to control the falloff on my sand path vert paint channel.

Here's an example of how the effect turned out! (below)

6th.PNG

By just effecting the normals and specular, I can control micro and macro detail better. Also the left side just appears really wet which works for some areas (but not all).

The outer Cave walls are the only thing that is non repeating. I chose to do this to have more control over the way it looked and achieve something far more believable (and I found a really good tutorial on how to do it this way :)). I'm using 2 basic rocks, one being really craggy and the other smooth. the texture is the same on both, however using vert painting and scaling rotating (basic stuff), I was able to change it up enough to not look repeated.

I have 4 models of rock shelves which use the same texture and are just flipped around in different ways and scaled to make different shapes on the walls and also to hide nasty UV seams (there are A lot of them in the waterfall room.)

Sorry it took so long to reply! I graduate in 1 week from Full Sail and I've been really busy making my demo reel. Thanks for the critiques, Your input is invaluable!

I'll post more soon!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    yeah that rock texture is REALLY ruining your scene, it's making it seem really amateurish and distracting. While caves are naturally VERY noisy, its very difficult to get that through on a low res screenshot, and even then, high detail noise is often a bad idea.

I think you are REALLY missing out here on making a story with the scene, you said you didn't like it projecting from no-where, well here is a perfect chance to make a story, maybe someone got lost and left a lantern, or there is a team setting up lighting gear for exploring, or make up some story and give the scene meaning and some emotion, not just some crystal cave.

The best screen is the one of the green mushrooms. Play with the lighting, less can easily be more and subtly good lighting takes time to get, look at some other people's set ups for reference, I recommend Skyrim's caves as well.
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex, I certainly agree and as I mentioned in my previous reply, I have taken steps to resolve the issue with the grainy spec/normal.

As far as a story, I completely agree that it needs a certain human element in there. I was planning to make it out to be a crystal mine, but time ran out. I will be adding to it once I graduate and have the time to do so.

Lighting is definitely not my specialty (although I'm trying to learn how!) I always felt like Skyrim's caves felt really washed out and bland when it came to lighting... but that's my opinion.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I'll make your mom once I graduate.
    let me see you latest screens.