Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

90's Mystery Adventure

I have been working on some scenes to include in a crowdfunding video for a live-action mystery adventure throwback named "Vanished..."(see:Phantasmagoria, Myst, etc.) Feedback is welcome!

IndieGoGo Campaign:
http://igg.me/p/273340?a=1733558

Dungeon Scene:
V1:
DungeonAll.png
Wire:
DungeonFlat.png

Front Gate Scene
v2:
gateprogress_1.png
V1:
GateAll.png
Wire:
GateFlat.png

Replies

• talood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have some interesting scenes,
    My biggest issue with them is how flat they look,
    since you're using them for a live action video, you can crank up the poly count to make the scene look more natural. especially in the walls,
    make them less repetitive as well. and focus on the areas you want the viewer to look at just like in your gate scene.
  • Timtendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's actually going to be a game that going to incorporate live action video into it. These scene still have to be able to be render real time in game. I total agree that they look flat though. I think it has alot to do with the way it's lit. Not enough contrast between the lights and darks.
  • n33kos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits talood!

These scenes were thrown together in something of a rush for the promotional video. As per your suggestion I'll look into adding more geometry and variation to keep things from looking too flat.

If I have time I will also repaint the texture and normals maps for the walls. The provided source textures were nothing special to work with.

EDIT: Just saw Timtendo's post after posting my own. This is true, these particular scenes will be rendered in game. The dungeon scene will likely be used as the cover image so we can definitely add more interest there. Timtendo is correct about the lighting though, It's my weakest point!
  • n33kos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding some interest to the gate scene --

gateprogress_1.png