Home Technical Talk

Dota 2 Hero Shader

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
McBradd polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on some Characters/Items to submit to the Steam Workshop.
I'm building them in Maya 2010.

In the Dota 2 Shader Masks Guide it is stated that every hero, item, courier, and creep make use of 'the hero shader in Dota 2.'

I'm wondering if anyone has made a material network for Maya, or has a setup for an external program (Marmoset or whatever) so that I can preview and edit my masks in real-time, to take full advantage of all the fancy tech, in a time efficient manner.

(I'm working off the OnmiKnight Character as my starting-point. The Maya files provided by Valve are for 2012, so after editing the year to 2010 to get it to open, the model comes in just fine, but the texture are all broken, so I assigned everything a plain Phong and began hooking up the color and normal textures.)

For the Channel Breakdown:

Mask 1 Channel 1(R) - Detail Map Mask
It sounds like Valve's material has controls for the blending mode. In Maya I think I can get the same effect from a layered texture.

Mask 1 Channel 2 (G) - Diffuse/Fresel Color Warp Mask
I'm not really sure how I'd pull this off, also I haven't come across anything about whether custom diffuse warp textures are allowed.

Mask 1 Channel 3 (B) - Metalness
This is another shader effect that I'm not sure how to reproduce in Maya, as it affects both the Color and Rim Light to produce the metal effect.

Mask 2 Channel 4 (A) - Self-Illumination
I think I can use utility nodes to have the mask plug the color straight into the Incandescence and get this working.

Mask 2 Channel 1 (R)- Specular Intensity
I planned to plug this into the Specular color, but I'm not sure how close the result will be to in-game.

Mask 2 Channel 2 (G) - Rimlight Intensity
I'm not sure how to set this up to display properly.

Mask 2 Channel 3 (B) - Tint by Spec Color
I figure I can use a utility node and switch to get this displaying properly.

Mask 2 Channel 4 (A) - Specular Exponent
I was planning to plug this into the Cosine Power and go from there.

So, If anyone has already gone to the to trouble of figuring some, or all of this out, your help is much appreciated. Otherwise, it looks like I've got some work ahead of me. Any pointers on the proper setup is welcomed.

Replies