Home Unreal Engine

Dynamic shadows making no sense!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
So I have 2 dynamic lights in my scene, which is a small space craft, I have one external, blueish and one warm interior. However, the warm interior light is casting odd shadows that make no sense.

33atke8.jpg

2ptxvtv.jpg

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    trying using a dominant point light in the interior space instead of just a point light
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, tried that (and thanks for replying btw ), basically the same problem, with the default settings I get no shadows, when I untick composite shadow channels so its just dynamic I get shadows that make no sense. Like below, the light is in the middle of the room, yet there is somehow a shadow across the 2 skeletal meshes. I'm trying to keep it simple, I'm just wanting to use dynamic lights, as its small environments.
    2py44rm.jpg

and here are the light settings...:/

90ucsm.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Try Light-Toggleable or Moveable instead, from what I understood, you want 2 lights to interact with your assets? In which case, by using default lights, you can't.

Also, make sure you models cast double-sided shadows, so there is no leaking.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I've tried 2 sided lighting, ive tried point light toggleable, pointlight moveable etc, it unticks the dynamic shadows option, when i re-tick this the odd shadows come back, it even affects the lighting of the second cool exterior point light. I'm thinking at this point, is it more to do with the static mesh settings rather than the point light properties?

Also is CE3 much more simple to set up in terms of lighting a spaceship interior with dynamic light? Please can some one help with this as I cannot seem to get past this issue!! :/
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved, thank you Snefer! So in the end I had to change both to moveable point lights and the light settings from modulated to normal!

Thank you ACe, Chris Perr and Snefer :)

5xu6ht.jpg