Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard surface sculpting using as much zbrush as possible

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Great bake. Good to see you go back to something closer to the concept, it's stronger for that. Looking forward to a colour pass!
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    dude that bake is looking awesome.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    My shitty 2 min liquify.....

jeff_zpse35a8fde.jpg

Other than the proportions, my overall thoughts are, body is fucking cool, and really well done. Boots need a little more shaping, but are pretty cool. The bit that lets the pice down for me is the head. The helmet just isnt as cool as the body imo, and seeing as the head is sort of a major focal point, it deserves a better design IMO!!

Im probably full of shit, and Im a terrible character artist, so take any advice with that in mind! :D
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the paintover Drav. There are some small adjustments i plan on making.

Update:
    Just laid down the basic hues and spec levels. The complete black parts are areas that haven't been touched yet.
    medic_texture_zps9a0e6f2c.jpg
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    starting to look more and more awesome
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Texture update:

medic_textureWIP_zps569e8023.jpg
  • DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, nice work man.

but maybe my only comments are the foots.

look kind of short in length.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    Looking awesome dude. Love the digital cammo effect :D a subtle dirt layer might be something to add. The paint work is all scratched up but its rather clean. Some dirt build up at least on the feet might be nice.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really cool!

Two things that caught my eye was that the digital camo doesn't really come of as much as camo more than just dirt and noise. I'd try and make it a bit more clear by sizing it up or increasing the contrast of it. All it does now is making it look really busy.

Also, you might want to change the color of his eyes. Seeing as there's red paint around them, it almost looks like the eyes are just bleeding out around them.

Keep it up!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. I made some changes to the digi camo and spec levels to compensate.

As for the proportions I noticed the cameras perspective was distorting the model so the next images should be fixed.

nyuk nyuk on the lens flare :P
    medic_textureWIP2_zpsdd19fcb3.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Great work so far, from the concept a few of us would have had trouble making it.

Good job
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    hell yea Jeff. Coming along well.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Almost there.
    I'll post some more full body shots tomorrow.

medic_presentation_zpsea7fd137.jpg
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    looking bad ass dude nice work :D
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just seen this great job man, what you rendering in marmoset ??
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    DAYM! Dude, I'm lovin' the level of detail you put in your textures! This is awesome!
    And yeah! Those lens flares! They make the world a better place!

I'm interested in the wireframe of the lowpoly if you don't mind posting it. Waiting the next update!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys. thanks for the kind words.
    @conrad - yeah it's marmoset for now. I'm gonna take it into UDK and do some shader work soon.
    @Kapoff - I agree that lens flares are pretty cool as long as they aren't overused. Like a Michael Bay film ;)

Here's the rig so far and wires.

medic_rig_lowpoly_zps0ba94b03.jpg

Here's the stress test on the model with the rig
    http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l197/Tac0m/3D%20Art/?action=view&current=medic_stresstest_zpsea276193.mp4
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of feels like a mix between Crysis and Mass Effect Armor. Pretty cool. :)
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool man.
    I would suggest, if you are close to finishing it, the weakest part is his face. A quick solution that would actually help you I say in presentation would be not to show his face. Concentrate on presenting the whole suit. That would be much better! The first thing I register is his face, and it not being up to par with the suit makes the whole model look weak. So I would personally cover the face and leave the helmet closed. Don't even worry about the face man.
    But this is a cool piece man.
    Good job. :)
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys. I didn't expect to get this kinda feedback. Thank you very much.
    @demilich - For presentation purposes I'll cover the face... I realize there's some spec issues with the face but is there something else you notice that can be fixed? I had to keep the detail simple as the face has mirrored UV's.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I'm glad I can help Jeff,
    I did notice some mirroring scuffs behind the helmet that are noticable.
    Not sure how much its worth fixing but it should be an easy fix.
    Also this depends might depend on your lighting or spec, but I would add more spec or gloss to the major scratched areas that show the grey metal on his armor, might make em pop a little more.
    Hope this helps man. I'm jealous of this piece!

Alan
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 13
    This looks really good. Love the textures.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    So I redid the face texture... WAAAAAYYY happier with this now than before. Although i wasn't finished playing around with the previous face. I opened up my file today and said "time to redo this"

I also added more spec to the scratches and tweaked some bits here and there :)

New face
    medic_newface_zpseb9576d0.jpg

Before and After the remake
    before_after_zps2c453e05.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think the textures aree waay too noisy. face is a bit off too. its like you are trying to squeeze the chin area in to the helmet rather than the other way around.
    mouth seems to far down the face also, making the chin look a bit distended

somehow the colour scheme clashes a bit, maybe each element is just fighting with each other.
    I think if you maybe made the green area much lighter (almost plain/white) it might have a better balcnce and convey medic more than it does now.

I think with a few tweaks it could be a really nice piece despite what i said above
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the comment Ruz. I totally agree with you about the mouth. I originally sculpted the mouth without an interior and I went through my files and found that once I added the interior i accidently lowered the mouth and thinned out the lips. I don't know how I haven't seen it until now. DERP

As far as the colours go I realize the "classic" medical colours are white and red but I'm gonna stick with what I have as they match the concept art colours.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Fixed that mouth area and closed the mouth
    medic_presentation_zps951c47a5.jpg

medic_presentation_face_zpsc29a67c9.jpg
  • Major D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this face fits way more then the last. The proportion changes are great. The textures are much better, The spec seems to fit more as well. I like how the face is more of a yellow hue and less saturated all together relative to the last.
    Before the face kinda popped out of the helmet, as if it didn't fit in the picture. Now that these changes have been made it looks like it's fitted back in the helmet and is actually emerging from it.

Do medics in current warfare wear any other colour apart from regular infantry camo? I wouldn't expect them to sacrifice their protective camouflage and stand out like a sore thumb just for identification purposes.. everyone in the squad probably already knows them intimately.

There's a lack of colour in the boots from the front view. It's pretty homogeneous. I'd change some colours. Maybe make the buckles under the hard chunky top armour a bit darker and on the grey side? I wouldnt add red or any distinctive colours. You don't need attention to be drawn there.
    It could end up being too cluttered though. *shrug* you'll have to see :P
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    So here's the beauty shot I set up. Other renders are coming :)

medic_beautyshot_zps3251c517.jpg
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Great character! Crysis inspired I guess. Weiting for renders :) :thumbdown:
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6