Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Killzone Floodlight

Replies

• Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone who helped me choose a colour scheme, it's been really helpful for me to get some input.

So while there were a few close contenders #2 seemed to get the most votes and personally it was my favourite too so I've spent my lunch time quickly refining the colours and I'm now ready to start DDOing, can't wait.

MiyzIHY.jpg

@tigg - Yeah I get what you saying about the camo and your probably right especially when you consider it's just a floodlight, although in my head I've always considered this a piece of military equipment that could be part of a military compound in say a forest so they'd probably add camo if it stuck out like a sore thumb

@AlexCatMasterSupreme - Thanks for posting the tip as its useful for people to know but I tried this a while ago and as @MrOneTwo pointed out its not a solution that works all the time. In this case it created seams between the UV islands which ended up looking worse than the waviness

@electricsheep - Thanks Mate. While I agree with you that the polycount is verging on the high end I wouldn't necessarily say its excessive when you consider the scale of the object. I discussed this earlier about the floodlight being about 1.5 times the size of a human and I wanted to treat it like a usable vehicle/weapon.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nice material definition. Love me some Killzone; this looks great. :)
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Tis looking lovely so far, some of the filters in dDo are based on gravity / an angle you set them to but this will be the case across an entire material so if you have 80% of a material uv'd so that it's oriented in the same way as life but 20% spun to fit the uv together better you may have a pain with this. If that's the case though you can just separate the pieces out a little more pretty easily.

Just something to think about before you get too far down the dDo route.

Good work :D
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mathew O Thanks mate, appreciate the heads up

So I've started to do a bit of the texturing, still lots of decals to be added and I also need to break up the large flat surfaces with some more variation. I'll probably have to do this by hand though as DDO is a little limited in that aspect

Let me know what you think of the current progress:

npR6AG5.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Those are some tight edges, almost looks like you dont have a high poly/normal map at all...? Or is it just me, and that last render didnt have normals applied lol :p
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Odium For some reason my normal map isn't getting displayed correctly in DDO, its not inverted etc, its almost as if DDO isn't recognizing all of my smoothing groups. As you can see from this screenshot from Max, while my edges are probably tighter than they should be, their no where near as bad as DDO displays them:

XhjyI.jpg
  • Blind Boy Grunt
    great job man! i personally like the yellow from 8, but applied to either 1 or 2.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    So good, love it, great model bud
  • TheMajor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good dude, I just had a thought.

Have you considered setting a "chromed" material on the inside of the lamp? You would imagine there would be some sort of reflective coating in there, Might give you some nice brightness and contrast at the top of the model,

I think the top should be the focal point and at the moment my eyes are lead towards the base where you have the white paint,

Bake is looking sweet though and I think Ddo is definitely showing it can be very powerful for forming your ideas quickly.

keep it up buddy! :D
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone

@TheMajor Cheers Tom, yeah your right about the chromed material and it was already on the agenda. I'd left it out of the DDO file to cut down the .PSD memory as its would create tons of layers for something I could do simply by hand. You can't really see it on the shot below but the back of the interior is a mirrored surface.

Anyway everyone, sorry its been awhile, I'd hoped to have this finished by now but things are hectic at the moment but I've finally got the model into CryEngine and I'm looking to finish it over the next few days as I'm dying to move onto something new.

Below are the remaining tasks I have planned:

- Add some more decals
    - Vary up the metal a little more
    - Create a bit more edge wear
    - Tidy up some of the seams that DDO has created

As always crits are welcomed

brjzYbB.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice stuff. The metal areas seem to need a higher spec power. The highlights seem a bit diffused looking. Otherwise this is awesome!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JeffParrot - Thanks mate, yeah your totally right.

So I've been working on this a bit more and while I feel like there's a lot more that can be done to it, I'm considering wrapping this up and moving onto my next project as I can't linger over the same project forever lol. Obviously I'll fix any feedback I receive so let me know what you think:

Thanks in advance

Q8FQZCB.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what are you rendering this in now? cryengine still? it looks great :)
  • E_Hollaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dem UVs, DAYUM. Reminds me of gun UVs. Friggen technical as heck. Well, not really technical I guess but so... many... UVs, haha. Awesome model btw. I'm excited to see the dDo results, hopefully it's less buggy now. Keep it going man!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woha this looks awesome! love the subtle use of the flare as well!

the only (minor minor) thing that could be a bit better for final presentation would be that the floor texture has a lower texel density than the actual model and there isn't much of a shadow which makes it feel a bit like its floating. - maybe you could put a second spot light there to give it a harsh shadow and ground contact.

anyway - awesome and proper cool usage of specularity and glossines as well :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    saw it in the waywo thread but had to stop and say how amazing this turned out.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome improvements! This turned out great.
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Those final touches you've added really make the difference - You've definitely managed to improve the readability of the materials and the material definition, really helping it pop, and the addition of more grime/dirt etc helps to sell it as an object that has seen use/service - nice job dude!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    This is looking really ace Grimmstrom. Nice work on the texture.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Love it! Really nice material definition!

I do agree with e-freak regarding the floor though! It kind of looks like it's floating.

Great work! :)
  • TheMajor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    Nailed it dude! :D
  • jp3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jp3d polycounter lvl 9
    so awesome! really inspiring mechanical design!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work! Yeah, those tweaks you made really push it to a new level.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your support, it's defiantly what keeps me going :) so thanks once again.

I've replied to a few individuals below:

@Ged - Yup its still CryEngine

@e-freak - Yeah your totally right about the floor, I missed this comment before so I'll fix this soon

@Lonewolf - Thanks mate, your a big inspiration of mine so it means alot coming from you

So I'm about wrapped up with this project now so its likely to be the last update. I've slightly tweaked a few shots and there now up on my Portfolio Website

Below are a couple of them but there are more on the website:

COM_Floodlight1.jpg

COM_Floodlight2.jpg

It also got uploaded onto http://videogame-art.com/portfolio/killzone-floodlight/

Anyway as a quick sneak peek at my next project, I've decided that I'm going to be creating a Sci-Fi vehicle, specific this awesome one by @fightPUNCH as he's such an inspiration of mine.

228_large.jpg

I'm starting this now so keep an eye out for a thread in the coming weeks :)

Again thanks for you support guys.

P.S if any of you were wondering about the DDO tutorial I said I was writing, its about 50% done but I'm going to slow down the process somewhat as Wiktor's awesome video that he just released pretty much covers 90% of what I was going to talk about. Hopefully I'll still release it soon though
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great job, I look forward to your DDO tutorial and I look forward to your next project.

Great choice of artist, I am a big fan of Darren Bartley's work (AKA the Panther)
    http://fightpunch.deviantart.com/art/Panther-343767403
  • dan.sonley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dan.sonley polycounter lvl 6
    wow! Really beautifully made, Congrats. I'm currently making this lamp at the moment aswell for part of a uni project. is such a fun asset.
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Good job with the lamp, looks decent. Some crits though - the UV's are really efficient but a padding is very small, you'll probably have some problems with mips. And another one is not a crit but just a notion - you have 3 different country signs: Russian flag on the lamp, Czech Republic flag on the leg and KZ is actually a Kazakhstan abbreviation near the Russian flag :)