Home Unreal Engine

UDK LIght mapping issues

Hey people, so i've spent a good few hours trying to fix these light mapping issues and I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I've tried stitching planer faces together, cutting them apart, snapping them to the grid, 4 pixel padding. Any help would be grand, as quite frankly, it's driving me a little insane now

Fresh import looks fine
fresh.jpg

when building lighting I get these issues
bleeds.jpg

current uvs for this part looks like so...
uv.jpg

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    As it's a mostly flat surface I'd just try planaring it from the front for lightmap UVs. It won't be perfectly accurate but should look good enough.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Just flattening the UV's should be enough for a model like that if you are using 3ds Max. Make sure there is no overlapping.
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    I would also suggest minimizing the amount of UV islands. connect as much of them as you can. Having many UV islands/shells will produce effects similar to that. The idea for lightmapping is to reduce the amount of seams you have in order to keep as much of the surface as contiguous as possible.

There will always be seams; no way around that. But the best you can do is make your islands/shells where the seams are least visible, either by hiding them into 90 degree corners of the mesh, in darker areas of the texture, under floating geometry, place other objects over them, or anything else to mask them from player view.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    what resolution lightmap do you have on those?