Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Happy Halloween!

Hello everyone,

I created this during my lunch breaks and sometimes for the odd half an hour after work as part of the ZBrush Halloween challenge 2012 during the past three weeks. I created it to try and learn a few new things and to try and push myself to try new things whilst keeping to a deadline.

The challenge was to create a Halloween themed sculpt by only using ZBrush to sculpt, texture and render the entire thing. This was tricky in itself as usually I would create my base meshes in Maya and then export them over as Obj files.

I had tons of fun creating him and I did end up learning a few new skills, such as using Fiber mesh for the first time! Which I found to be amazing, and will definitely be using it lots more in the future for my character sculpts.

Anyway Happy Halloween and I hope you think he's alright.

Thanks for looking! :)

Replies

• 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    looks pretty good. Was this rendered straight from zb? It kind of feels like it. If I may give a little feedback, I think this thing needs some specular value. The polypainting looks good, but the material definition falls short without specular. The tongue looks like it has some specular highlights, but what about the eyes? the blood spatter? the obviously licked candy?

Perhaps you could render this out in passes and compile them in photoshop. That way you can control the composition better than a straight zb render.
  • Crack Panda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 3shold, I really appreciate the feedback. He has the 'Toy Plastic' material applied to his teeth, tongue, claws and eyes, also to the lolly pop however the specular seems to show up mostly on his tongue. If change the camera position slightly then render sometimes the light is seen better in his eyes.

I think my main problem may be the lighting set up? I'm not that great at setting up lighting and it's something I would like to improve at. I did take it into photoshop just to very slightly tweak the lightness of the image as the challenge stated that everything had to be done in ZBrush, apart from final lighting adjustments.

I experimented using different skin shaders for his skin but couldn't find one I really liked, I agree that there isn't enough specular overall, it would help to give it a bit more 'pop' as it were and define some edges.

The deadline for the challenge is over now, however I can still have a mess about with the sculpt just for my own gratification.

Thanks again for the comment. I'll go away and do some more test renders and post my progress If I make it look any prettier! :)
  • Crack Panda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. Okay so at lunchtime I experimented with moving the lights around and fiddling with some of the levels of the 'Toy Plastic' material and I have got a better outcome in regards to some more speculars showing up his his eyes etc...
    I also tried adding a slightly different skin shader to his head and torso to pick up a few more highlights so it doesn't appear quite so flat...