Home Unreal Engine

UDK - Lighting/Shading Issue

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here, so plaese don't be too harsh.

Anyway the problem i'm getting is strange shading on static meshes. (Check images below)

I'm running UDK July 2012. It's modelled in Google Sketchup, triangulated and then exported as an .fbx. The texturing is also done in Sketchup, which doesn't invole a UV map. You just paint the faces. When imoprted into UDK i re-apply the materials/textures under the LODinfo on the 3d viewer.

When using realistic textures with normal maps there is no problem but as soon as a solid colour is applied, without any normal maps (which is what i want) then the strange shading appears.

The shading seems to be along the triangulated lines. I have 8 months so no real rush, but would like to get this fixed a.s.a.p.

When lighting is built, it warns me of wrong lightmapcoordinateindex, changed it and the lightmap resolution. Played with all the tick boxes and values, running out of options, just wondering if there is something simple i'm missing.

Here are the images of before and after lighting is built.

image.png

image.png

Anything else you guys need to help work out the issue i will provide a.s.a.p.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    You need to prepare a uv layout for lightmaps, with no overlapping faces. I don't know if Sketchup is capable of doing that though, but you can give it a go with Blender.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post your UV/lightmap layouts? The problem is most likely there.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    UDK can generate unique UVs in a 2nd channel for you in the static mesh window but they tend to be in efficient.
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah you need a UV set for lightmaps. If you don't have UVs set up for that, UDK defaults to using vertex lighting on your mesh, which if your mesh topology is made up of randomly funky non-uniform triangles, then you get results like what you see in your bottom screenshot.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
    odd_enough wrote: »
    Yeah you need a UV set for lightmaps. If you don't have UVs set up for that, UDK defaults to using vertex lighting on your mesh, which if your mesh topology is made up of randomly funky non-uniform triangles, then you get results like what you see in your bottom screenshot.

This. its in your static mesh preview window under "generate unique UV's" I believe
  • PaRsOnS21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, i'm afraid i'm unable to provide a UV lightmap..... because well, i don't have any.

I tired generating unique UV's to no prevail.

I've decided that creating UV maps is the only way so i'm going to use Roadkill to unwrap etc.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it :)