Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Adrian Cruceanu

Hey everyone! I've been delaying posting on Polycount for a while now, partly cause I thought my work would look lame compared to the awesomness of everyone else here, but I think it's time I took the training wheels off.

I'm a concept design student in my final year at Staffordshire University. I'm looking for feedback and criticism on everything I post. This both for me and for my written assignments at uni, because as they say "You as a student have no opinion. Your conclusions and evaluation should not reflect what you think but rather be a comparison between your work and other professionals' as well as critique and feedback from relevant sources." So I'd like to ask everyone now if you'd allow me to quote you on your feedback. If not, please state it at the end of the post.

Now to my actual work! Goodie!

I'm currently working on 2 character design modules and a final year project. The FYP will be a mech design, but I haven't done anything in regards to that as of yet, but here's an update on the other ones:

Advanced Modelling Portfolio - Redesign a fighting game character - Morrigan (Marvel vs Capcom 3)

silhouettes2.jpg
silhouettes4.jpg
silhouettes6.jpg
silhouettes8.jpg
finallf.jpg
update3.jpg

Note: I decided to extend her wing shape-shifting abilities so that she actually uses the cloth in her "magic poncho" to create the wings.

The polypaint is just preliminary colouring. I've also done a bit of texture detailing on her clothes and skin to make them more realistic but I don't have renders of that yet as my laptop is having issues with the file sizes. I'm up to retopologizing at this point to the a final model of 13k tris by the 2nd of Novemeber. I know it's a bit late to post this as I don't really have time to make any changes but I'd appreciate the feedback anyway.

This is my first ever female model and I know there are some issues with it, specifically with the face and hair (which will be changed in favour of planes). I chose it to challenge myself and...well...I succeeded in doing that, now I just need to figure out if I succeeded in producing a decent character.

Handheld Games Design - Darksiders themed character under 2k polys

36603696.jpg
86133179.jpg
facesbx.jpg
concepts2.jpg
finalym.jpg

I'm currently modelling him in quads to get him ready for Zbrush so I'll post some pictures of that as soon as possible. The tricky bit will be getting the retop to be under 2k tris.

I also gave him a bit of a backstory to validate his design: He's one of the nephilim trapped by Death as well as an old acquaintance of Death, his mentor.

Any feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated. :D

Replies

• MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P3d upload of Morrigan and Death's Mentor:

MorriganLowPoly (View in 3D)
    69Yo7

(View in 3D)
    iR1BK

Morrigan progress images:

update4.jpg
    update5e.jpg
    38107139.jpg
    77422330.jpg
    46999490.jpg

Darksiders character:

fullnp.jpg
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished both Morrigan and Varken (the Darksiders character):

[vv]56151796[/vv]

morriganbeautyshot.jpg

[vv]56151795[/vv]

varkenbeautyshot.jpg
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually going to use this thread for my Final Year Project as well. I'm going to post some of the work I've already done shortly. Hopefully I'll get some feedback that I can use to expand on my designs and maybe use in my written piece.

The title of the project is "A Study on Infusing Vehicles with Personality for Next-Generation Gaming". In other words I'm looking at how shapes, colours and stuff like that affect the personality of a vehicle. I know, not really groundbreaking but I wanted to try my hand at a mix between character and vehicle design.

So far I've done research on mechanical engineering, automotive design, vehicles in other games, engine capabilities and a bit of workflow analysis. I've set my brief for the practical piece (which will be a Mech design). It's not fully fledged yet but it's a starting point. This is what I've got so far:

- The Mech belongs to a guy called Alan (young bloke, works in demolition and clean-up)
    - it was passed down from his father
    - old model, rough looking, powerful machine but hard to control
    - Alan is proud of his heritage and therefore takes care of it; made some modifications, personalized it a bit
    - Mech Personality: similar to an old veteran, worn down, protective, wise

I've got a story forming in the back of my head to give them a setting but this is all I wrote down so far.
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress so far:

silhouettes.jpg
    From these designs I chose no. 3 as it was mine and most people's favourite.

values2.jpg
    I made a few silhouette and detail variations from which I mixed and matched elements.

paintoveru.jpg
    I did a base model in Max and painted over it to get an idea of where I'm going with it.
  • Necrixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick concept dude
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some variations on the previous design based on the feedback that it doesn't look enough like an old, protective person. From left to right it gets more obvious as to what it actually does. Opinions?

paintover2.jpg
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I came up with using the middle variant and adding some new elements.

paintover3.jpg

Added some panels and slits on the forearms to make the mechanism inside it more obvious. Changed the lower headlights to ground scaners so that they stand out more and look a bit more like sad eyes, hinting at a face looking down. Also to help with that I added a military style, ripped up net that could've been previously used to hold stuff down in front of the cab. This is to further separate the cabin from the front of the mech, hopefully to make it look more like he is carrying the driver on his back.
  • MrBlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Side view. Will probably change a few things later on, like the front rails and the way the hydraulic fluid tubes connect to the main body.

paintover4.jpg
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    I really like the way you draw it, this is astonishing!