Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] Lone druid - set

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,

I've made some concepts for the Lone Druid character. I'm trying to go for a nature/forest look. If you have favourites/ comments or feedback, I'd love to hear it :).

Hope you like them.

loneDruidConcepts.jpg

loneDruidConcepts.jpghttp:

Replies

• Oskar!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oskar! polycounter lvl 12
    The 1st hat is awesome! It really gives him an elemental druid look.
    The staff, shoulder pad and belt fit in perfectly :)
    Good luck!
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oskar: thanks! Elemental is what I'm going for, so that's good I guess :p.

I got a few new WIPs from the low poly models and the sculpts. I don't really know how to solve the whole vine thing on the hat yet. It takes and insane amount of tris; I'll probably end up simplyfying it :s. Oh and the leafs are just placeholders for now; gonna make those a lot more clearer :).

Wips.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice! That hat is particularly awesome so far, the other two pieces will def. rely on the textures more to make them just as awesome since they are so simple. Good job! :)
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Avanthera: thx! The hat is often a favourite one, the pressure is getting high to making it awesome :).

Almost done with the first props: Here's a WIP from the items imported in Dota. I still gotta freshen up the diffuses a bit and right now, the masks are all still black.

dotascreensWIP.jpg

I encountered some problems with the skinning when trying to import the objects as fbx file formats. I'll list my solution below. hopefully, it can save some frustration for people with the same issues:

1. Open your max scene (i imported mine from the maya file) and make sure the bones are in there
    2. place your items where they should go on your hero and place their pivots at 0,0,0
    3. throw an xform on your object and collapse it (resetting scale and rotation).
    4. put a skin modifier on it and add all the bones from the hero (not sure if this is really necessary, but it can't hurt)
    5. skin the object to the bone (or bones) it needs to be skinned.
    6. select the object and all the bones that have weight assigned to them from your object.
    7. Export as fbx with these settings:

-Smooting Groups
    - Tangents and binormals
    -convert deforming dummies to bones

- Preserve edge orientation
    - Animation
    - Use scene name
    - Bake animation
    - Deformations
    - Skins

Some of these might be unnecessary, but its better to be safe than sorry i guess :). Next up: export and import in DOTA workshop :).
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost there...

DotaFinal.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    post it bigger plz!

looking really good =]
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto: Thx! Unfortunately, this is the biggest i can post it right now (the in game modelviewer is really small :s).
    DotaFinalLarger.jpg
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    heya reaaally nice model and texture work the only bit that stands out to me is that twig on his hat kinda looks just 1 solid colour where as compared to the wood on his shoulder or wrist band they are slightly varied other then that everything else sits perfectly :)
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chimi Jimi :). The branch didn't completely work out as I intended. I think I accidently also made it slightly illuminated in one of the masks, which wasn't the orginal plan. Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna try them out.
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
  • Axez D. Nyde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything you made looks really awesome,

BUT: the hat makes the beard go away. (His beard is not part of the base model but on the hat slot, I suppose?) He needs the beard! It's the most important item that gives this guy his senile, charismatic charm! Can you get at least of the braids back in?
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ow, I hadn't even noticed the part about the beard :s. I think I can get the beard back in the LOD1, but I'm stretched pretty thin on the LOD0. I'll see what I can do

I totally agree btw, it needs to come back! Thanks for making me notice. Guess I'm not done yet :p.

Glad you like the designs btw; these posts really make my day :).