Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: FanC3D

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
fanc3d polycounter lvl 6
Hello... thank you in advance for your comments and critique. I work mostly in ZBrush Maya and Photoshop. But other software will be mentioned.

First up ... Silk 2:
Maya Photoshop and ZBrush

Silk2_oct2012.jpg

Replies

• fanc3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fanc3d polycounter lvl 6
    3_killingjoke-by-corey-burkes-1024x763.jpg

Original Art by Brian Bolland - Batman: The Killing Joke is my all time favorite cover and one of MANY covers I wanted to recreate in 3D. Unlike other workflows where I typically start with a base mesh and mold and texture around it, this is the first where I literally started from scratch and learning from the ground up complete modeling techniques. Unlike other artists that say 'they did this in their spare time in a few hours', I'll tell you the truth and I'm going on a week still pushing polysphere's and Dynamesh in Zbrush with no particular deadline to reach. It's not easy, but it's worth it because I'm learning so much on the path. My goal is to first create an overall shape and then drill down into details. Much more to do, of course, but It's a path worth taking.

My mentor-in-my-head credit goes to Digital Tutors Character Artist Shane Olson. He has a Speed Sculpting a Cartoon Head in Zbrush set of videos I purchased from Digital Tutors that literally changed my life as an artist. Sounds deep, but if you compare where I've been to where I am now ... then think ahead to where I am going, I think I'll finally get a place in the CGSociety.org gallery (prime goal!)
  • Mango Tea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there -- Hope you don't mind, but something jumped out at me about the Joker picture you're working on.
    I feel the bridge of his nose just drops too sharply into his face, as if it is too sharply defined. There is no flesh surrounding it. If you look at the illustration you are working from, you can see there is wrinkled skin going on there, basically substance to that nose.

It's quite late at night, so I hope you understand what I mean. If not, I can draw a little redline for you in an attempt to explain better. :)

Good work though, it's clear you are putting a lot of effort in!
  • fanc3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fanc3d polycounter lvl 6
    SH_DC_Marvel_FanC3D.jpg

The idea is a set of images asking the question: What would happen if you threw two comic book heroes in a tightly spaced box?

I can’t take credit for the original designs of Superman and Hulk at all. I think they are/were part of some game. I’m not really sure. I wasn't interested in starting from scratch and found these models online and re-aligned, re-posed, touched up, lit and rendered them myself.