Home General Discussion

Quick 5 Question Survey Uni Research!

Hi Guys,

Doing a quick survey for a prototype at University; not much too ask - but would really appreciate if you guys could just give a few quick responses!

---

Q1 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best visuals?

1 - Unity
2 - UDK
3 - CryEngine 3

Q2 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the most reliability?

1 - Unity
2 - UDK
3 - CryEngine 3

Q3 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel is most user friendly?

1 - Unity
2 - UDK
3 - CryEngine 3

Q4 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best support?

1 - Unity
2 - UDK
3 - CryEngine 3

Q5 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best features?

1 - Unity
2 - UDK
3 - CryEngine 3

----

Thats it folks; answer in numbers or written i'm not fussed, but itll be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Q1 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best visuals?

Depends on the artists, game, style, platform, and technical requirements of the project.

Q2 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the most reliability?

They are all very solid

Q3 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel is most user friendly?

Unity is the most user friendly in the traditional sense, UDK has a lot of features that I feel are lacking in unity, but there's normally add ons and plug ins for (material editor, vertex painting). UDK seems to have the most in terms of tutorials and content on the engine, unity comes close. Cryengine has a lot of parallels to 3ds max and is to pick up if you know 3ds. So again, there's no solid answer.

Q4 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best support?

I kinda included in the previous question. They all have strong user bases and forums with tons of information on the applications.

Q5 - Which Game Engine (of the three) do you feel offers the best features?

Depends on the game, style, platform, and technical requirements of the project.

Really this Survey is kinda pointless unless there's more details on the specifics of the projects that that will be worked on. The major pros and cons seem to come out in certain types of projects. UDK isn't as great for big open world projects, but it is getting better. The tools in Cryengine are great for that open world, massive terrain. Cryengine also has real time lighting so people spend more time creating, and less time waiting on bakes, and that seems to be the future. UDK has some awesome node base scripting tools that lets anyone become a programmer and allows amazing materials that aren't really possible with Cryengine. I personally think cryengine does a better job with outdoor scenes than interior spaces, but I have been surprised with some artists here on polycount.