Home Technical Talk

Maya to Zbrush hard surface mesh preparation help!!

Hello polycount and hard surface modelers especially, I have a Maya to Zbrush, hard surface related question for you all.

First off, I have worked a bit with 3Ds Max it is a fine program, but my main program is Maya and for my current project I need to stick stricktly to a Maya to Zbrush to Maya pipeline. Within this type of pipeline I have a big slow down and it all comes down to my ability to, rapidly and cleanly, prepare a high poly hard surface mesh I have made in Maya for sculpting in Zbrush. To specify further: I have no really good way to add sufficient edge loops to my Maya hi poly mesh in order to create a proper sculpt surface (eavenly distributed square polygons) for use in Zbrush. The biggest issue is to add additional edge loop to the base hard surface model in order to not upset the smooted shapes curvature.

In 3Dstudio I would use things like swift loop (hope i remembered the name right) to do this really fast and clean, as that tool manages offset of the mesh when you add a edge loop so that the smoothed mesh will look the same no matter where you added that edge loop. I do not know of a good way to do this in Maya, so my question is: HOW do I do this in a proper way within Maya? As I stated, the process has to stay within Maya. I have tried a gesture script I found that is called "Cly gestureSmooting" that in theory does this, but at least the version I found still leads to a lot of cleanup after using it.

Hopefully there are some Maya hard surface guys here that could help me out, I am really in need of a sollution.

Thanks.

Replies