Home Unreal Engine

Skydome lightmaps...yikes

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
So my problem is this, when my scene is unlit it looks great as far as the skydome goes. When it is lit by building my lights, the dome does not show up at all. I was having a problem earlier where I was getting shadows on the dome even with all shadow params turned off on the mesh-so I in turn tweeked certain params to try and get rid of this. Now my shit is just no bueno....no skydome at all!!! Any help on this???

litScreen.jpg
litscreen_udk.jpg

Why does this have to be so hard?

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Why are you lighting your skydome at all? It should really be emissive only in 99% of cases.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am very cherry when it comes to udk's settings, so I have all lighting turned off for the mesh. Even so, I can't seem to see the dome when I enter the test game. My teacher at school sucks, so I know he won't be able to tell me the problem as far as this goes. I don't know what to do at all. What emmisive settings are u talking about???
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's in the material.
    jwmt06.jpg
    Where it says MLM_Phong, replace it with MLM_NoLighting (or whatever it is) and run your texture into the emissive tab instead of the diffuse one.

It'll then put the image directly on the screen without any shading.

Don't make a habit of fiddling with the mesh properties (if you are talking about the actual StaticMeshActor in the world) as a lot of it doesn't do what it probably sounds like it does! I'd replace the StaticMeshActor with a new one to clear any settings changes you've made to it.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,I see where your going. Thanks for the help so far man! Only problem is every time I fiddle with my packages, I seem to corrupt my file. I have tried to remove the mesh and reinstall it with a bunch of errors, and then crash, crash, crash. Again my teacher is not qualified to teach this program at all and just says, "oh well, I guess u just have to redo the whole level from scratch"..durrrrrrrrr. Any suggestions on the deleting and re-importing of certain assets into packages without corrupting the files? I am lost, and probably will just have to drop this class until a real teacher can come along in this school to teach us this shit. I should probably switch schools or just stay at home and learn this for free! Until then though, I would like to at least figure this out.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shouldn't be corrupting, you don't have to do anything specific to make it not corrupt.

Bad RAM or HDD?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    do you get any errors when you crash?
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have since messed with the material on the dome and now it looks great. Thanks man. I now need to clean up the tex on the dome as it is a little noisy since i had to convert the HDR image to a jpeg. Other than that I'm trying to get some nice light shafts going. I had them on the first try look great, then started messing around too much and now I'm spinning my wheels trying to make them look right. I definitely need to get my models going for this level now. Model, sculpt, texture, and then into some Kismet and Matinee. My teacher wanted a full terrain, all meshes textured, terrain textured, skydome, lighting, meshes in place, etc etc in one week. I'm definitely behind the power curve if you know what I mean. Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I'll be posting more problems soon!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crash error would basically say that the build was corrupted I think.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the placeholder level so far. Lights are pretty good with just Dominant light, and one to create a halo/blur where sun is. I've got so far to go.

p.s put a lens flare on one pic just for shits and giggles.

ScreenShot00001.jpg

ScreenShot00002_retouch.jpg

ScreenShot000032_retouch.jpg
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that terrain made in UDK or imported from a modelling program like Max or Maya? A great way to improve the look of inbuilt Landscape/Terrain is to load several materials in and blend between them so banks are muddier and it also breaks up the texture repeats nicely.

Also: experiment with the lighting a little, try changing the colours so it matches the sky.

Looks a lot like some of my first maps ^^
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All done in UDK. I am totally going to add more textures, and even might try that height/slope angle method for materials in UDK. I have also started messing with Speedtree to try and make some custom deco layers. Need to work on my models now asap.