Home General Discussion

dDo...new tool from Quixel

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Moose, that turned out pretty nice :)

I'm interested to know if anyone's used it for character art or any pieces they can show? Had a play with it this morning and seems like it has a lot of potential. So its more for kickstarting the texture process by adding say grime,etc on clothing, that kinda thing?

Also, if anyone's found some good results with the presets so far, would be good to hear about it :D
  • Otixa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't start for me. Just opens PS and stays in tray :(
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Played around with it for a few hours last night, pretty cool. I think the power of this is in the ability to create custom details and materials, not in the presets. The look of the presets are pretty obvious and it wont be long before most can call out textures that dont deviate from it. I imagine they'll continue to add more individual details, and that'll help the artist continue fine tuning the look they want. It's no "make art button", but it seems to help out a lot in getting the materials in the ball park. It's also really dependent on the quality of you model and bakes...and I know of no shortcuts for that.
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had the time to test it out yet. Does it by any chance generate spec maps aswell, or is it just a make-diffuse button?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    3DFM wrote: »
    Haven't had the time to test it out yet. Does it by any chance generate spec maps aswell, or is it just a make-diffuse button?

Diffuse Spec Glow
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    It generates diffuse, specular, gloss and height while editing your normal to include surface detail from the diffuse.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I've installed the update but still cant seem to get any of my meshes to load in the previewer. Does someone have a mesh that is working that they would be willing to upload?

I'd like to see if it's my meshes, or my install/process/setup.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Sandbag wrote: »
    I've installed the update but still cant seem to get any of my meshes to load in the previewer. Does someone have a mesh that is working that they would be willing to upload?

I'd like to see if it's my meshes, or my install/process/setup.

Hey man, last night when I was using it when I first launched the previewer it was the cube, but the second time around it was my mesh (as far as I remember with no changes). Maybe just try a couple of times or quickly throw together a simple test mesh? (My mesh was .obj if that helps, exported from Modo)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got the very latest update and my meshes are finally showing up! They were all exported from max 2011, so that must have been the issue.

I'm still getting some funky mesh errors though (see picture below). I tried importing the .obj back into max and it came in without any problems, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

So far I'm really enjoying the texturing side of the tool though, it definitely seems geared toward a grungy look (at least the way I'm instinctively using it), which is fine by me!

engine_funkyMeshErrors.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Just got the very latest update and my meshes are finally showing up! They were all exported from max 2011, so that must have been the issue.

I'm still getting some funky mesh errors though (see picture below). I tried importing the .obj back into max and it came in without any problems, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

So far I'm really enjoying the texturing side of the tool though, it definitely seems geared toward a grungy look (at least the way I'm instinctively using it), which is fine by me!

If you want to do some more clean stuff, you could just turn off Environmental Details and just use Material Definition. It's a great way to get your base materials to read correctly without worrying about details just yet.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looks great Sandbag! what I am wondering about this tool is how much control you have over your texturing. If you want a certain part of your model to have a brown color, can you do this (using heights/selection map for instance)?
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Still messing with it, Im not sure I'm fully understanding the objectspace normal map usuage. My drips are going up! this was just the deafault quick and dirty setting. Previewing it in marmo since I'm getting the .obj mesh errors

wEdNO.jpg
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    looks great Sandbag! what I am wondering about this tool is how much control you have over your texturing. If you want a certain part of your model to have a brown color, can you do this (using heights/selection map for instance)?

Yes, you can mask out certain areas to have certain colors, and you can also go in and adjust the base layers while still editing in dDo.

For me the best part of this is quickly generating a base texture which you can then work from. It's like starting to sculpt from a base head instead of a sphere.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I tried this out earlier on some NS2 stuff, and it's definitely an interesting tool. However, I'm worried about people just relying on this and not actually getting any Photoshop skills. I also don't wanna end up seeing everybody using this tool to texture and nobody putting any personal touches on stuff any more!

I find it much more useful (Albeit a little more time consuming) to have a default PSD with a load of grunge textures set up with masks on them, and I can just mask on grime wherever I like.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found it really useful so far for adding extra detail onto textures to make the pop that little bit more. Not tried anything from scratch yet.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone who relies heavily on this tool to make most of their diffuse will not get far in this industry. So far, it's really only good for getting smaller bits of details or very base textures to start working off of. If anything I think it's a great alternative to some of the overused photo reference that's out there online.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is what I fed in to dDo:

textureInput.jpg

The diffuse was just my base colors + decal art from the original textures, the color map (or more appropriately, the material mask) just has each material type as a different color so when I bake it I can chose "match my materials by color." Then just normal and AO maps.

You can also uncheck "swap colors" and have it use your color map as the base colors, but using a diffuse map let me keep it from making every little decal and color change into a new material type.

edit: quoted the wrong post
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Great tool.. give it a try..
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    By the way if anyone runs into the problem I was having "Syntax Error: Expected", it is caused by an apostrophe in your file name. From their forums http://www.quixel.se/forum/showthread.php?138-quot-SyntaxError-Expected-quot
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    hmm, I may have to give in and buy both of these. nDo2 and dDo
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like there is a contest running this weekend! http://www.quixel.se/forum/showthread.php?199-dDo-Speed-Contest-1 Pretty cool opportunity.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Could anyone give me hints as to why I can't get my textures to show up in 3ds max/xoliul shader properly? I can't find the updated "16 bit" setting and everything is being displayed with a very limited colour range.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Anybody else having a problem with the latest build? I can't install it...

RdUOm.jpg

EDIT:
    Okay, don't panic, I found the problem. :)
    I cleared everything out of my browser, history, cache, downloads etc...
    I re-downloaded and now it installs fine.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my trial thing ran out here, is there something I can do to continue using dDo until its out of beta?
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    So my trial thing ran out here, is there something I can do to continue using dDo until its out of beta?

Register here to get a beta code. You'll have to enter it when you open dDo to continue after the trial period.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Any of you guys had any issues with ddo recently? Whenever I edit anything such as the hide/show layer box, or if I move any of the sliders nothing changes in the document. It's not every time either, only happens on some days.
  • Bolthead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolthead polycounter lvl 10
    been having this problem with ddo, any model i import goes like this, if anyone knows it'd be appreciated thanks
    z8EIYqY
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I have a question. Is there a way to " tile " the details effect ?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hey guys, I just bought dDo after considering it for so long. I've loaded in a mesh, and I'm trying to load custom textures into the previewer, but it won't load them. It opens them in photoshop, apparently converts them to jpg, and that's it. Any idea why? I've tried opening and closing the previewer, but no luck.