Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome !
    I relly like the hair cut
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the comments, guys, we're really glad you like them! I've been out of town for the past week (plus a family emergency) with only a little bit of computer access, so it's been tough keeping up with everything going on around here lately v:
    Please post in-game shots!!

We've been meaning to do that, however we'd like to recompile our items over the existing in-game ones (like doing TF2 mods) so that you can see them all on the character at once, rather than one at a time. I plan to figure out how to get that working this evening, so we'll get some shots as soon as possible. All the stuff's made and ready to go, though; it's just a matter of making sure I actually know how to compile stuff for Dota and actually getting that set up right!
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was posted by "mrpresident" on one of the other threads, I hope it helps:

"You can do it all on dota 2 test.
    1:
    unpack Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\pak01_dir.vpk using GCFScape
    you must unpack all files pointing to \dota 2 test\dota, in a manner that the game dont need any file from the compiled ones. so unpack all files.
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually)

2:
    import your files with dota 2 test as you would do normally on dota 2 beta. You can also use your alredy imported files on the dota 2 beta filesystem. Just use the same logic and copy the files to the same folders on the dota 2 test.

3: find the geometry folder as the exemple :
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\yourit em
    now copy (its very important that u copy and dont erase this files) the content and paste here:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero
    now rename the deafult files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your autored files to the deafult ones and you are set.
    After this you will see all your geometry loaded ingame on all possible views including loadout.
    i got most of this info from this own tread andTvidotto's workshop tread. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :
    You cant use a slot if there is not a deafult item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him."
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    snip

Thank you! I've done a lot of item replacement for Tf2 mods in the past, so I was just messing around with it last night on my own. I managed to get the items to show up in the model viewer, but not in Dota 2 test game itself. This evening after work I'll try following the steps you provided here and see if I was forgetting something.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    To view your custom set together in-game:
    I hope it helps:

Gathered information an Adjustment for better understanding:$!nz
    "You can do it all on dota 2 test.
    1:
    so unpack all files, using CGFScape, on file pak01_dir.vpk to extract all, I went folder by folder not through the root all at once
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually) Rename them something like .vpk0 so the game won't register it.

2:
    Just use the same logic and copy the files to the same folders on the dota 2 test. When importing your custom pieces post them as the default names, Bracer, helm, sword , so Beastmaster_sword compile using the default names.. this will be your compiled zip file, beastmaster_sword.zip
    when you extract the files you'll have already renamed them to the defaults.
    what you do with the defaults is put them in a folder and/or move them some where outside of the dota 2 test dir, so you can replace them with your compiled files..

3: find the geometry folder as the example:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\"your item"
    now copy (its very important that u copy and don't erase these files) the content and paste here:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero (example: beastmaster/(your files go into this dir)not deleting those files you'll have 2 copies in different directories, don't worry. it works like this.
    now rename the default files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your authored files to the default ones and you are set. (unless you didn't in step 2.)
    After this you will see all your geometry loaded in-game on all possible views including loadout. (check at loadout if something is wrong here you did something wrong, redo till you get it right.)

i got most of this info from this own tread and Tvidotto's workshop thread. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :
    You cant use a slot if there is not a default item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him."

Tvidotto's comments:
    btw, check your alpha on mask1 (i think) the self illumination is full white.
    If you use a full black there the engine will discard the alpha, you need at least a pixel of other color, you can put in the corner of the texture

All credit to those whom posted this information for us, thanks again, I just sorted things out for myself and shared my experience of the process.

I have done the above and added my experiences in red to the quote above for better understanding you should review my version as I have already done this last night and got it to work like this and it worked for me.

Best of luck, people.

Also I had to compile the sets within the dota 2 test folder area not the dota 2 beta area, you don't have to submit them the .zip file will be created when you can see them in the previewer.

Whew! notw post some in-game images, enjoy, also thanks guys for the info I just organized It for better understanding.
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, you guys killed it! Well done all of you.