Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted textures - my first attempt

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

This is actually only my second post as I just joined the forums. I've been modeling as a hobby for awhile now and just started college for game art/3D animations. I've been working on a game now for a little while with a friend of mine and I've been trying hard to make 'nex-gen' models or get better at it using HP sculpting and LP baking. However for the sake of time I decided to quickly make models and texture them pretty badly and not put much effort into until now. I would love to make hand painted textures, and decided to try 3D motives tutorial which I have not quite finished yet. So far I have this.

swordtexture

I'm not finished nor is the hilt finished, but I think it's okay...however I did make it following the tutorial. (model was done in blender but I have maya and 3ds...just don't know how to use them well). So I decided I wanted to model an airship type thing and decided to make the interior of the cabin first. I found a good cabin design concept art that I decided might be worth a try to make. Since I have no clue what i'm really doing as i'm awful with textures and even worse with hand painted ones I decided to only model the floor layout and texture that before continuing. However I ran into some problems and started getting questions I couldn't really find online.

1) How big of a texture would be needed for this? Say it was for my game, but 2048 x 2048 didn't even seem close to big enough for the quality needed.

2) I thought maybe I could create a texture pack, but then ran into another problem. How do you actually use a texture pack? For example I have a medieval texture pack for testing purposes that has normals and what not, but no idea how to apply them. Sure in the engine I could separate the model and let the game engine wrap the textures for me, but that usually looks bad. Do you apply the tiled texture to the UVs in Photoshop and do all the editing there? If so how do you create the normal maps for the newly created texture?

3) For hand painted textures is it best to make a single wood texture and re-use it, or to hand paint every part of the texture using Photoshop over the UVs? I honestly just think i'm missing something here on how it should be done on a larger scale project than the sword tutorial.

So many questions, and tooo eager to learn I guess to wait for my schooling to actually catch up to where I am. So far just doing practice wood textures for now till I figure out a strat for tackling this.

Concept art link: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-16/art/gsdd-lookout-cabin-interior.jpg

First 2 attempts
testwood1

Practice painting the corner piece of the concept
cornerwood

I will keep updating my progress as I go. Since I really think there is no better way to learn than trial and error I will keep after this project for quite some time. All criticism welcome, please tell me it's awful and why. I honestly would love any advice or help that anyone can offer. If anyone else is new like myself and wants to join in on making a small project to learn then feel free! I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Lastly here is a link to our blog (really just screenshots) of our game so far. Again all thoughts welcome since we are just a 2 man team.

NOTE: We are using the Esenthel engine and the only model not our own is the character. The models made are what I call 30 second models, they all took less than 30 min to create so they honestly do not look very impressive. I'm also not knowledgeable enough to really create nice work without spending weeks on a single model.