Home Technical Talk

FBX export from maya, importing it into the Dota 2 client

Hello good people of Polycount, i have two problems. (I'm pretty new to modeling so could be just me)
A few days ago I tried to submit my low poly with base color map sword for DK into the dota 2 client in order to see it in context before continuing with improving it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6318&stc=1&d=1350679603

I used maya to 'smooth bind' my model to the sword joint in the original DK model. Then I selected my mesh and and exported it as an FBX. At first when I tried to submit it the client said I am over the poly count. I realized that i had clicked the triangulate option in the fbx exporter, when i removed it it uploaded successfully. However, when it uploaded it was about the size of a tooth pick in the hands of the in game model :poly122:. I scaled it and positioned it exactly as the original sword model in maya and clicked freeze transformations before exporting but it didn't make a difference.

Now, the bigger problem is that today i tried to repeat the process and try to find out how to solve the size issue. However, when I imported the FBX into Dota it says I have to many triangles (i checked, triangulate is not clicked in the FBX exporter). I tried exporting into an fbx the original healm and uploading it and it said the same thing, which is strange since the original healm is obviously within the budget so the problem is probably in the way I export the FBX. I have a feeling the Dota 2 client used to count the faces but now is counting the triangles after the update yesterday?

Some advice/help would be so very deeply appreciated :poly142:

thanks in advance