Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A portfolio of my work for your review!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Stu2Prof polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I am a recent graduate of a Fine Art Media course hoping to move into the game art industry. I create artwork by mixing low poly models with image file errors to get interesting aesthetics that can only be created using digital media. I'd love to get some feedback on what you think of my work and some advice if perhaps there is a place out there in the big game industry for my particular style :) I understand this work is a bit niche and thank you for taking the time to look.

734_max.jpg

808_max.jpg

192_max.jpg

588_large.jpg

568_large.jpg

177_max.jpg

171_max.jpg

Replies

• shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Its interesting for sure! Reminds me a lot of some of the mid 1990's cg videos from the Mind's Eye series. Not too sure how 'workable' this stuff would be for games though. It'd definitely be a trippy game for sure though if it did!
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Well.. that's different! Didn't expect this. Uhhh.. I actually kind of like it. Very artistic, but I see this more in like, an art gallery or something. Not really for games. But if there is some trippy 'Psychonauts' type of game, then this style could fit.
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Interesting. But I have to agree with Shinobix.
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very refreshing, wouldn't mind seeing more games experimenting with art styles like this.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I really like these images, particularly the 2nd one, and the 3rd to last.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Love it! Feel like I need to go lie down and comprehend the purpose of toast or something after seeing this.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I was put off at first by these but after a few images in I started imagining a very experimental/trippy sort of indie game these would fit into. Mostly the 3rd and 5th images, that character in a really glitchy looking multifaceted world to match. You ever play the .hack JRPGs? Basically there's a virus in a MMO that's putting people into comas, and the bosses you fight are pretty much really bizarre looking glitches. And the corrupted game environments looks really messed up and glitchy. Reminds me of that.

Other than that, I'm not sure if this particular style would have a place. But that's an idea... make your own based on these! :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Coming from a fine art background, I think this is awesome! I feel like an IGF judge would fall in love with this. Do you have any more?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I agree that it is really cool, Unfortunately the only way something like that would be useful for games is if it was picked up as a complete game idea. If your work was backed up with decent traditional game stuff, it would probably help your portfolio but as is, its not enough to get you anywhere I don't think. If you could independently prototype the game so that it wasn't just still images that would be a good start.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    Coming from a fine art background, I think this is awesome! I feel like an IGF judge would fall in love with this. Do you have any more?

Hi Kon, thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you like them. I do have a couple more I could show you. I have them attached here below. 597_max.jpg

727_max.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I like them. They remind me of the 'new aesthetic', a style/concept that's been around for awhile but someone put a name to it a couple years ago and it debuted as a major trend this past SXSW, at least in graphics design. Haven't seen anyone take it into gaming yet though, although I imagine it's heading that way.

If you haven't read about it, I liked this article by wired:

http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2012/04/an-essay-on-the-new-aesthetic/

and even though I find James Bridle pretentious, he and his blog do a better job of documenting it then most, plus he gave the talk at SXSW, so here's his blog:

http://booktwo.org/notebook/sxaesthetic/

I'd like to see more.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix wrote: »
    Its interesting for sure! Reminds me a lot of some of the mid 1990's cg videos from the Mind's Eye series. Not too sure how 'workable' this stuff would be for games though. It'd definitely be a trippy game for sure though if it did!

Thanks shinobix, I just looked up the mind's eye on youtube and I can see what you mean :D

sybrix wrote: »
    You ever play the .hack JRPGs? :)

I haven't played the games myself but I am familiar with the series. I must have a further look into them. I'm a big manga fan and the first manga I ever purchased was a hack manga
    I agree that it is really cool, Unfortunately the only way something like that would be useful for games is if it was picked up as a complete game idea. If your work was backed up with decent traditional game stuff, it would probably help your portfolio but as is, its not enough to get you anywhere I don't think. If you could independently prototype the game so that it wasn't just still images that would be a good start.

I agree with your apprehensions and I am currently working on a portfolio to develop more industry relevant skills. I don't see my work as the final result but just an alternative way of creating digital artwork which will only benefit from advancing my practical knowledge/skillset. I don't have any coding ability atm so I dont know how feasible it will be for me to demonstrate working games but hopefully Ill be able to collaborate with a programmer in the future. :D

ysalex wrote: »
    I like them. They remind me of the 'new aesthetic', a style/concept that's been around for awhile but someone put a name to it a couple years ago

Thank you very much for the links ysalex! :D Your deduction is very correct although this is my first time encountering the term "New Aesthetic" I take much of my inspiration from the Glitch art scene which is all about showing the flaws of technology to better understand and appreciate it. Its a fantastic way of looking at technology and I highly recommend you look at Rosa Menkman if your curious about it. http://rosa-menkman.blogspot.com/

P.S. I do not know how to do multi-quote properly so I kept having to open multiple reply tabs with multi-quote button and then copying/pasting into one. Does anyone know how to do this in a simpler manner?
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool stuff, I like what your doing here are just some more ideas that you could use for future projects? I'm not very good with words so try not to taker offence please. :3

For the blue screen of death....

The soft gentle blue screen makes me feel like this. :)

The actual blue screen of death makes me feel like this. :poly122:

QLMOI.jpg

I believe if you were to experiment with that background color and font you could add this instant universal understanding to this image, the message is ERROR.

Here is some error ideas?

Here is some graphic card issues...

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/bingles/WoWScrnShot_102710_192434.jpg

Missing or misplaced textures.

Bad draw calls, create deformed objects.

Many of the horizontal/vertical artifacts your using in your works remind me of defect monitors primarily.

http://www.technosamrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Broken-Screen-Wallpaper1.jpg

Could also look into magnetized tube television screens it has a very distinct look. (kinda pretty too :3 )

Or a monitor that's missing a hue.

Or dead pixels, a modern day problem.

I really like the distinct Nintendo looking error.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlphaMeow wrote: »
    Very cool stuff, I like what your doing here are just some more ideas that you could use for future projects? I'm not very good with words so try not to taker offence please. :3

For the blue screen of death....

The soft gentle blue screen makes me feel like this. :)

The actual blue screen of death makes me feel like this. :poly122:

QLMOI.jpg

I believe if you were to experiment with that background color and font you could add this instant universal understanding to this image, the message is ERROR.

Here is some error ideas?

Here is some graphic card issues...

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/bingles/WoWScrnShot_102710_192434.jpg

Missing or misplaced textures.

Bad draw calls, create deformed objects.

Many of the horizontal/vertical artifacts your using in your works remind me of defect monitors primarily.

http://www.technosamrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Broken-Screen-Wallpaper1.jpg

Could also look into magnetized tube television screens it has a very distinct look. (kinda pretty too :3 )

Or a monitor that's missing a hue.

Or dead pixels, a modern day problem.

I really like the distinct Nintendo looking error.

Thanks for the suggestion! I think your right that the specific blue is universal. Ill put that on my list of things to mess with :D I have seen the callback errors before and I think they're very cool. The magnetised tv's look very trippy! Sadly I dont think it will be around for many more years though because we are moving away from the cathode ray tube. Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by the "nintendo looking error"? :)