Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BMW E30

StandardBMWE30.jpg

Here is a WIP of my BMW E30 which I am modelling for a university assignment. I'll be using this thread to update my current progress and hopefully get some helpful critique on my work.

We have a set brief which in short is - create a racing game vehicle. Do not reproduce the plain road version. You may create an existing race vehicle though you must design your own race livery. The Livery must be of an existing brand.

the vehicle must be within 30,000-40,000 triangles.

so I chose to make a drift spec BMW E30.

first I put a lot of research into parts for the car e.g. wheels, tyres, custom arches, interior, engine bay, brakes, suspension, ect.

I collected some images for inspiration. here are just a few of them below.

Inspiration1.jpg

Once most of the planning was done I had to research into Livery designs then create my own.

I decided to pick Cell-Tech as my main sponsor for the livery design as it's not a widely known brand so there wouldn't be another Cell-Tech Livery out there and mine would have to be completely unique.

here is a picture of the tub for my supplement which i partly used for inspiration for the design.

IMG_0923.jpg

I collected all of the brand imagery i could find to make sure my livery design would fit their brand image.

Also i couldn't find a good image of the Cell-Tech logo so I had to completely recreate the logo myself.

here is the first version of my livery design.

Cell-TechLiveryv5i.jpg

after a good amount of input from my lecturer I came up with a final design. Also when I was posting up my brand imagery I gave some examples of other supplements created by the same brand. Using my lecturer's idea i created a Nitro-Tech team mate livery

Cell-TechLiveryAsymDv2.jpg

Nitro-TechLiveryMillen.jpg

Now for my progress with modelling.

for the assignment we also have to model the entire wheel for tyre failure, under bumpers for damage, inside the boot and engine bay.

Wheels1.jpg

luckily my friend has the same tyres on his car as i wanted to use for my E30 so I took pictures of all the way round his tyre walls for textures/normal mapping, though I only had my phone for taking pictures at the time.

IMG_09602.jpg

Tyres8.jpg

Tyres10.jpg

Progress12copy.jpg

Progress1copy.jpg

Progress2.jpg

Progress34.jpg

G.jpg

This is the current stage I'm at.
Progress72.jpg

a couple of problems I have at the moment. The front grill is too tall and the boot is too rounded. Also for now I have created some basic wing mirrors until I know how many tris I have to work with nearer the end of the modelling stage.

any critique is welcome and thank you for looking at my thread.

Replies

• ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got most of the exterior modelled now.

Progress8.jpgProgress82.jpgProgress811.jpgProgress86.jpg
  • Insulaner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
    You said you need to model the engine bay, and I assume the engine, so you might want to look into how the car is built a bit more closely.

This is the undercarriage of a e46 M3, but it should give you an idea on the general construction of the car.

The body looks nice already, but the undercarriage is where most of the detail is.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Insulaner.

Yeah i see what you mean but I've got to make the car in racing spec. So one of my ideas was to give it a full undertray and rear diffuser for better aero dynamics (also sparing me a lot of tris for areas of the car that will be seen more)

kind of like this and this

I agree it'd probably look better with more details on the underside though. I'm going to be modelling the exhaust system soon, so that may come down the underside of the car.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some progress with the engine.

Progress99.jpg

Progress910.jpg

Progress97.jpg

Progress96.jpg

Progress911.jpg

Progress912.jpg

Progress914.jpg

just got a few more components left, I've tried to model the high poly and low poly for each component as I go. so I've still got a good idea of what tri count I'm on.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    badass, dont have time to read your plan/description but deff subd for more later : )
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks CandyStripes, ha yeah and thats not even a quarter of the planning!

I've finished all of the components for the engine bay, high and low poly. Got a bunch of wires, tubes and a few clips to model which hold certain components in place (reason some things look like they are floating) but I'm leaving these till the interior is all sorted so I know how many tris I've got to work with.

High Poly Engine
    Progress10.jpg

from the looks of this render I think there may be a smoothing error on the battery as I haven't looked at any of the smoothing groups since I started taking out vertices that weren't needed. The original low poly engine was 7,700 tris and I've managed to get it down to 3,700 for now so I have quite a lot left to work with so I should be able to add in extra details.

Low Poly Engine
    Progress101.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've rendered out a couple of wireframe shots to try and get some feedback on my typology. I've done some draw overs to point out what I think isn't right so far. Any further draw overs to point out things that could/should be fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Progress11Wireframe.jpg

Progress111Wireframe.jpg

Progress11WireframeDrawover.jpg

Progress11.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The crease above the front wheel arch doesn't curve like you have it. It just goes straight. In your case it will even go beneath the wide flare.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul, although you are correct I decided to customise the front fenders slightly so the crease would curve around the wide arches as I didn't think it'd look right going beneath the arches as there'd be a gap
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more progress. I've detached the bumpers and modelled the rest of the body under the bumpers, front and back. Also finished my low poly model for the driver's seat and i'm just finishing the high poly for the seat.

Progress132.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more progress. I've finished the high and low poly of the seat, inside of the boot, most of the interior except all the details (steering wheel, gear stick handbrake dials, door cards and part of the dashboard)

still got to model the back face of the bonnet

Progress131.jpgProgress12.jpgProgress121.jpgprogress141.jpgProgress142.jpgProgress14.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quite a big update as we had a deadline for all the modelling for this project yesterday. Didn't have much time to do many progress renders as i had a big list of what i wanted to get modelled in time for the deadline.

I'll apologise in advance as some of the renders are pretty terrible, i left rendering quite late as i was still adding some of the smaller details so i was in a rush.

I'll try and borrow a friend's computer to get some better renders as my appalling computer can't even open the file with all the high poly elements merged into one file

The low poly model is currently at 39,217k tris.

TriCount-1.jpg

Wireframe20.jpg

Wireframe18.jpg

WireFrame19.jpg

WireFrame15.jpg

Wireframe14.jpg

Wireframe13-1.jpg

wireframe12.jpg

Wireframe122.jpg

Wireframe11.jpg

Wireframe10.jpg

WireFrame22.jpg

WireFrame21.jpg

WireFrame192.jpg

WireFrame16.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
  • ReMiiX-
  • Groove619
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Groove619 polycounter lvl 9
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome! I can't wait to see the finished piece!
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Interior is nice......exterior looks loose to me.

In particular, the side and rear windows look wavy, and confused, especially the black trim.

Furthermore, I think you are not spending enough triangles on nailing the curves of the panels, particularly where they meet lights, or join other panels. A 40K car, you should be getting nearly all the details in there. I think youve put too much into the interior, and not enough love to the exterior. I also think you are blocking in parts such as the window trim, but not really spending the effort to make it look exactly like the real car. Every part has to look convincing with cars, or the illusion is broken.

Finally, a good example of this is looking at the back. There are a number of 90 degree edges that are razor sharp, and seperated by smoothing gropus. Real cars dont look like this, and the illusion is broken. Bevelling these edges would make the model more believeable imo.

The exterior is really the most important part.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Drav Thanks a bunch for the tips, I think you are definitely right.

I'll have a go at fixing as much as I can with what I have left, not sure I'll be able to fix it all at this stage but I'll give it a go. Thanks man
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right I've added a couple of bevels around the rear lights and chamfered the edge aound the lower part of the front and rear bumpers so there is no break between the smoothing groups. I'm up to 39,959 on the tri count now so i could probably add in a couple more loops to make it more accurate.

LowPolyBeveledEdgearoundlights.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've redone the bevel around the lights as i felt it wasn't enough. Also added in a couple of loops on the C pillars. tri count is now 39,999

RearLightsChamfer.jpg
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to Unwrap everything first to get the most part of unwrapping out the way. then i moved onto the diffuse map for the body of the car. I decided to create my diffuse map from scratch even though i made my livery design in high resolution and could have used it for the most part of my diffuse. I made a few changes to the design.

a couple of things on this render have already been changed, i somehow forgot to include the BMW badge on my diffuse map first time round as i created the diffuse on my laptop while i was away from my computer so i was guessing what was what on the unwrap.
    Progress18-.jpg

Next i'm going to move on to normal mapping as i feel a few things could need correcting on the unwrap to ensure the normals are baked out correctly.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my progress so far trying to present my work in UDK. I was hoping I could use an opacity map so I could have my windows on the same map as the body of the car but so far I can only get the windows to be either completely opaque or completely transparent. I'm not that familiar with UDK but I'm guessing its not possible and I'll have to use a separate map for the windows and light lenses. Also I initially hoped to use the xoliul shader but couldn't find anywhere to get the .mpz file from
    E30UDK1.pngE30UDK2.pngE30UDK3.pngE30UDK4.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you planning on building a mini scene in UDK? Even if it is something simple just to use the engine, because I don't recommend inserting your car into a level like that... takes away from the car and isn't much of a beauty shot.

I would recommend trying out Marmoset for presenting majority of models and UDK for full blown scenes, but it is up to you.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers CandyStripes I will have to give Marmoset a go as I've been told the same by someone else!

I'm going to have a go at making a studio type environment and presenting the car in UDK again over the next few days though i'll have to try and borrow a friend's computer as i can barely open UDK on my computer.

Progress20.jpg

had a go at using Xoliul Shader 2 today, had a few issues which i managed to sort in the end.

Progress212.png
    Progress21-1.png

Progress214.png

Progress213.png

Progress211.png

Progress217.png

this is much as i managed to capture of the vehicle before i got sick of wasting hours waiting for my computer to respond.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    While your modeling skills are good, i feel the texturing and especially the presentation is really letting this down. It really is a pretty cool model (well the interior is lacking a bit), but you are not presenting this very well.
    For presentation, try this maybe: http://vimeo.com/28618312

Also I'm not sure if the nuclear green/yellow is ever going to work in that scheme...
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Xoliul, i couldn't agree more really...I took more care with the modelling as i saved up some time by getting my planning done quickly but the effort on the texturing wasn't really there and the deadline was today.

i did have a quick look through your tutorial but haven't had chance to follow it yet, i'll have to give it a go cause it looked nice.

Progress26.png
    Progress264.png
    Progress263.png
    Progress262.jpg
    Progress261.jpg
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha these little BMWs look awesome. However something about them falls very closely to RTC models rather than looking like an actual real life BMW, I think its semi to do with how plastic they look with rendering and how slightly empty they feel as well, to me there is something that looks like there is stuff missing.

However saying that, I think you have done a great job on these, I know its never easy getting things done for Uni deadlines :(.

Oh just noticing, the tires look like they are too small for the wheels, if you look at the bottom render, the rear wheel looks like the tire is to small width wise and so the rim is hanging over the edge.

As a final note though, I think if you can some how throw in the white paint look you had right at the start, I thought it looked really nice, it had a Brawn GP feel to it, the textures which will/can look nice, they obviously need more attention in the shader and render setup than the simple white paint, possibly a white and lime green livery would look sweet with the wheels and roll cage. Just a passing thought.

Keep it up and good luck :D
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I really think it's the green color that's killing the realism of these cars. That and the shot of the engine bay. The cross brace is what kinda kills it, and the valve covers. They look really low poly compared to the rest.

So I think fixing the green to make it look more realistic, if it's making it darker or finding a different way to render it, I think it would really help. And maybe put a bit more detail in to that engine.

Other than that it looks pretty good. :)
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the comments guys i really appreciate it.

I think you guys are right in the sense that the Lime green is killing the realism, i find when i use any over saturated or bright colour i can never get it to look realistic. I like your idea for going back to the green and white so i'll do that before the next deadline and i'll also test out some calmer colours to see if i can get it looking more realistic.

also i see what you mean with the engine bay, though a lot of the details i have put in are lost in the black on black so hopefully the extra detail will come out more in my next renders with other colours than black.

and yes the tyres are too small for the wheels, some drifters stretch tyres onto a larger width wheel to eliminate sidewall flex
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    you need to make a high poly and bake it down or it will never be good enought tbh. It's cool,, but you just are not going about this the right way for game art.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work. i miss my 325e, such a fun car.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to make a high poly and bake it down or it will never be good enought tbh. It's cool,, but you just are not going about this the right way for game art.

Just a heads up, there are quite a few car games that don't rely on normals on the cars themselves. Such as Need For Speed - i think it may have been NFS: The Run had a mini article out that they rely on solid edge flow and only use normals for emblems and maybe interior (can't remember) but the body of the car itself doesn't have normals.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i was told games like Gran Turismo and GTA didn't use normal maps for the body of their cars, i did try putting a normal map on some parts of the body and it just screwed the reflections up completely. Part of the brief for the assignment is to make a car paint shader and include a reflection map.

though everything but the body of the car is normal mapped.
  • CandyStripes05
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Left this project alone for a while as I've been focusing on other modules for my uni course.

Here is my latest render for my project. Final hand in for the Uni project is on Friday and this is my current beauty render. I took l.croxton's advice in going back to the brawn style colours as liked his idea.
    wi8ozs.jpg

Haven't really got time to create yet another colour scheme for the car to try out some less saturated colours as i have 3 other modules to also be finished by friday so the best i can off is a black and white version of this render
    359i7nc.jpg

Thank you for viewing my topic and any comments are welcome.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    35mo3k9.png
    Another Update.
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    Those beauty renders look great man, the white works much better, good job.
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    mirin the cell-tech brah

shits dangerous though

car looks good, especially the compositing
  • ReMiiX-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha the real brand Cell-tech isn't steroids if thats what you mean!

• Love.Prenzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That may be an old model but with the right stuff it can rock even the new ones.
  • chaituviswa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Appreciate you sharing, great article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

https://viswaonlinetrainings.com/courses/machine-learning-online-training/